Home Forums Hunting Upland Game Pheasant opener

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hunted NC Iowa both days, shot 18 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday with 8 hunters each day. Saturday was way too warm by mid-morning and dog’s were getting gassed. Sunday the temps were better but so dry, didn’t seem to be any dew as we started the hunt. Ended up seeing 100+ birds each day on a conservative count I’d say. Can’t complain about how our weekend went and looking forward to the rest of the season!

Participant

My family saw fantastic numbers on Saturday and had 18 by noon. We quit a lunchtime due to the heat and the dogs being played out. Looking forward to mid-late season cold weather and some snow to bunch them up and settle them down.

Participant

Did not see that many birds this opening weekend. We did get into some quail which was nice to see. High light of the weekend was watching my 7month old lab pup retrieve her first down bird to hand. Can not wait to get back out.

Participant

Just curious, is there still a lot of corn in up in the NC Iowa area?

bluedirtbluedirt
    Participant

guessing over 1/2 of the corn still to be harvested in the area we hunted. waay n. central Ia. 3 of us had 2 birds by noon. kicked out 6 hens, 2 roosters flushed ahead. all flew to cornfields. friends had the same story. between standing corn & water in wetlands- pheasants won the opener in this area.

Participant

Quote by: largemouth

Just curious, is there still a lot of corn in up in the NC Iowa area?

About 50% to 60% done in my area of NC IA. There is a slight chance of rain Tues night/early Wed morning but otherwise it’s supposed to be dry the rest of the week. If we don’t get much rain I don’t think there will be a lot of corn left by the end of the week.

Participant

Pheasant opener thread and zero pics….. disappointing.
    😥

Participant

Frustrating day but I saw two roosters. One jumped nearby and flew about 400 yards away just as I got out of the car and was putting shells in….never did see where he went. Walking in one flushed about 80 yards out, and was able to mark where he went down in a clump of bushes. Walked all the way down there, didnt scare him up. I did however kick up a rabbit and took a shot at him with my single shot 16. After the shot the rooster flushed literally 3 feet behind me. Not sure how I didnt’ step on him. I was just left there standing, holding my now empty SINGLE SHOT. Had I thought quicker I probably couldve knocked him out with the butt of my gun. I guess I’m just a great conservationist. Wouldn’t you know I didn’t see another bird. Great to even see 2 for how crappy numbers were around here the last few years.

Participant

Road hunting was pretty much a bust for us this year. Saw some birds but they were already out in the fields. Hunted all day and ended up shooting one, missing one and the wife missed one. A far cry from last years 4 man limit. Sunday was a little better we found a couple early and I had one down by 8:10. Shot a single around noon, and a third on the way back home. My wife and dad never had a decent shot. Overall I’m disappointed with the weekend but at least we got the bead on a few and got to spend some time with my family.

Participant

My shooting was more than a bit rusty, but I still managed to do well enough during the opening weekend of pheasant season. My German Shorthair located and pointed quite a few more birds than I actually connected on, so I need to put in some practice with my hunting shotgun this week! 🙁 😯 Overall the bird numbers where I hunted seem similar to last year if not a bit better and we had another great opening weekend of pheasant hunting. I have a few pretty good spots I like to pheasant hunt and that’s about all I have to say about that. 😀

alan_50501alan_50501
    Participant

I haven’t even been out yet…Trying to take care of 50 yards (which is what I got) get them cleaned up of leaves then hopefully I can go hunting for a couple days….Go some place out of town stay in a hotel and turn my phone off so no body can reach me

Fort dodge

Participant

The Phesant numbers are so low on the Eastern side of Iowa, we went Crow hunting instead…. Got 4 it was great. Take Care

Participant

We hunted public ground in East Central Iowa. Saw about 30 birds, probably ten roosters. My group shot 4. There was alot of shooting going on all around us as well.

Participant

Here is a picture from our group on Saturday after we finished up at noon. Obviously guys had already peeled off their orange…

We weren’t smart enough to take the picture with the sun in our face, so we had to edit and go B/W so you can see the birds. It turned out pretty cool though IMO. I am the grinner holding the Golden Retriever and my 11 year old daughter is next to me. This was her 3rd opener and she absolutely WILL NOT miss it. She gave up a slumber party with friends to make sure she was up with me at 445a Saturday morning.

Participant

Quote by: freckles

The Phesant numbers are so low on the Eastern side of Iowa, we went Crow hunting instead…. Got 4 it was great. Take Care

Quote by: nmac54

We hunted public ground in East Central Iowa. Saw about 30 birds, probably ten roosters. My group shot 4. There was alot of shooting going on all around us as well.

In my experience, SOUTHeast Iowa blows. East Central and Northeast hold more birds than you think. Forget about east of 380 and south of 80.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.