Home Forums Hunting Upland Game pheasant chicks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Anyone seeing any pheasant chicks yet? This wet, cold weather can’t be good for them.

huntingirl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I saw a pretty large rooster yesterday but I haven’t seen any chicks. Your right this water isn’t doing them any favors! 🙁

kel
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Saw a hen wandering around with a rooster, not a good sign she’s not on a nest.

bigbuck31pt
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: kel

Saw a hen wandering around with a rooster, not a good sign she’s not on a nest.

At least she’s with the right guy. 😆

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Oldbear
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Have seen none and haven’t seen any pheasants coming out on the gravel to dry off either.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

redingdl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Saw 3 groups over Memorial Day w/e. 10,8 and one with 2 chicks on the gravel next to the ditch. Tama County

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I saw a hen the other day. She may have had chicks in the ditch but I am guessing she was a lone.

beniah1066
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Same as a few others. Saw a hen with a rooster. Terrible sign. At least they were alive I guess! Better than not seeing any at all.

HideHunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve seen two broods in the last week. Don’t know how many there were but both I saw looked less than a weeks old.

redingdl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The good thing is if they lost the first hatch, they will renest for a July hatch. The broods will be a little smaller, but we are still moving forward to a better population. Keep the faith.

stitch
    Participant
    Up
    Down

In the last two months or so I’ve seen a LOT of birds around Jasper County. I haven’t seen any babies, but I never do seem to see them.

cedarstrip
    Participant
    Up
    Down

chicks???? heck I have been elated just to see a single rooster the last twi days on the way to work. triples my sightings in the last four months. between ames and gilbert.

kel
    Participant
    Up
    Down

A plus, for the pheasants not the farmers, is the rains have delayed hay mowing so maybe a few broods have made it that normally their nest would have been destroyed.

515wingshooter
    Up
    Down

Was in Wayne County Wednesday. Heard a rooster and some quail. I went to investigate ended up flushing what i believe was a quail or a really young pheasant but pretty sure since it was flying it was the quail i heard. It was in a waterway with some trees once i heard the flush i ran around the trees to catch a glimpse. The neighbor said she saw a baby quail last week hopefully their is more chicks!

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

Saw 3 roosters along the road where I hunt and run my dogs, also saw 2 hens and 1 hen had about 10 chicks that look like large quail with her. They flew pretty good too. Dogs were very happy to be back out and just enjoyed the morning run in the field even though they were soak from dew. Over all very promising.
    One rooster saw my truck coming and hunkered down along the edge of the road and as I drove by him slow, once I got past him he stood up and walked right into the gravel like to say HAHA you didnt see me! Probley be a road kill by hunting season! hehe

Tomcat
    Participant
    Up
    Down

A gal that works at my farm store had to slow down for a hen and 15 half-grown chicks last week! I nominate her for hen of the year!

Tomcat

kel
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wow thats some good numbers, if every hen had that we would bounce back much faster. Nothing in Jasper Co. yet 🙁

pheasant1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Talked to a buddy of mine that was haying this weekend near some of the ground we hunt, he saw 3 broods all survivors and one brood had 19. So much for the spraying and roundup ready corn theory. Good weather+habitat+healthy hens=GOOD HUNTING!

SADIEHAWKINS
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Been out everyday since the 15n th running my pudelpointer and compared to last yr numbers look to be up again where I hunt. Walked a quarter mile kckk up 4 groups with 6 to 8 birds in each group. All of this was done in middle of day. Birds like thin cover with thicker grass close by all coveys were on tops of hills pushed into thicker cover.

raisins
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Although I have seen few baby chicks, I’ve spotted around 250 pheasants this year on gravel roads. One flock I spotted in a field had 91 pheasants WOW

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.