Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Peterson, IA boat ramp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was home a week ago and backed my jon boat into the boat ramp on the Little Sioux, located west of Peterson along Hwy 10. To make a long story short, the 2-3 feet deep hole at the end of the ramp which is under water caused several hundred dollars in damage to my trailer when I was pulling back out of the water. This ramp and park is maintained by the Clay Co. Conservation Board. Initially, I wasn’t upset with them, as I figured they probably had no clue this was like this (although I did find a bent up U bolt lying on the ramp, wondered if someone else had problems). I called them the following morning, and left a message with their secretary about what happened, and asked that they either fix it or put a sign up warning people of the condition of the ramp. She took my name and number down, and promised me this would be taken care of and someone would contact me. Nothing. A couple days ago, I had someone check the ramp for me to see if anything had been done. He said there was no sign up, and the hole is very much still there. This was 6 days from when I called. I called their office yesterday, and left a message for their director, Dan Heissel. It was detailed and I made it clear I was upset that nothing had been done yet. I have still heard nothing. There is absolutely no excuse for this on their part. It would take 5 minutes to throw a sign up or pull some snow fence across the ramp, in order to save someone the trouble that I had to go through.
    With the water on the rise, I’m sure people will be wanting to boat down the Little Sioux. If you are planning on putting in at this ramp, make sure you walk out and check this. It is worse on the south end of the ramp, I was about a foot out from the end and just about went over my hip boots. The north end is only probably 10 inches deep off the ramp. 😡 😡 😡

Participant

The right person must have seen this on here, as it took one day being posted on here vs. 8 days trying to call them. Finally got a sign posted, about time.

Participant

Most concrete boat ramps have drop offs on them. You don’t notice them because when the water table is normal or high you don’t have to back in as far as when the water table is low. Have seen a few people drop off the ends at the IGL ramps. Usually if you drop off the boat has to be off the trailer and it takes 3 or 4 guys wading in to lift the trailer back up over the drop off.

Participant

Quote by: littlealfet

Most concrete boat ramps have drop offs on them. You don’t notice them because when the water table is normal or high you don’t have to back in as far as when the water table is low. Have seen a few people drop off the ends at the IGL ramps. Usually if you drop off the boat has to be off the trailer and it takes 3 or 4 guys wading in to lift the trailer back up over the drop off.

Happens around here (Mississippi) all the time. Current washes the rock away from the end of the ramp. If your trailer tires drop off the back-side of the ramp… those “spring shackles” are gonna get hung up comming out. Watched a fella rip the hitch right out of his F-150 at the ramp by our cabin. I hustled over there to help but he rammed around like he was in the jaws of death before I could get there 😯
    Just hooked his trailer onto my truck, hooked onto the back of his trailer and lifted from the bow of my boat.

Participant

I’ve been putting in at this ramp for about 13 years. There has always been a slight drop, maybe 8 inches or so. This was pushing 3 feet. The river has changed and there is now a switch in the current, causing it to wash out–it happens. I wasn’t upset at the Co. for this happening, but upset they ignored me when I asked them to put up a sign or dump some rock in there. I’ll be walking out in the water from now on before I drop the boat.

Participant

Otter,
    Unfortunately I was that guy this time. I was alone, it was dark, and I was pissed so I gave it hell. Bent my receiver hitch, ripped the coupler, messed up both rims, and later learned the axle is messed up. Of course later as in AFTER i put on new tires/rims. THere was a slight tweak in it I didn’t notice, ended up with another blow out and a bald tire. Lesson learned.

Participant

To be honest, they should have to pay for your trailer. The DNR, county government, state of Iowa or whoever are not non profits. Our tax and license money pay them to maintain our public areas. And yeah, I know there was no way for them to know the hole was there. There’s no way for an insurance company to know a storms coming, a store to know you’re gonna trip over a crack in the sidewalk or Mcdonalds to know you’re gonna spill coffee in your lap, but it all happens, and they all pay up. It is the responsibility of whomever owns the ramp to maintain it, and that makes them liable in my mind

I’d be especially pissed if this happened to me on a corps of engineers ramp I paid to use. Someone would definitely wind up in court on that one.

Participant

Ya I thought about that, but when I calmed down about it I realized that that’s what the trend is nowadays and I didn’t want to be part of it. The more BS case law that gets set in place, the more likely you are to get sued and lose at some point. You are right though, I probably would have a chance against them since they maintain it, just not how I do things I guess. Now, if I found out someone had messed up their trailer after I had called them and informed them of the problem, then let the lawsuit begin.

Participant

Quote by: DWC

Ya I thought about that, but when I calmed down about it I realized that that’s what the trend is nowadays and I didn’t want to be part of it. The more BS case law that gets set in place, the more likely you are to get sued and lose at some point. You are right though, I probably would have a chance against them since they maintain it, just not how I do things I guess. Now, if I found out someone had messed up their trailer after I had called them and informed them of the problem, then let the lawsuit begin.

I agree to an extent, but the real problems with that are either people that lie about damages/make up stories to take to court and people that suffered no real damages (or extremely minimal) and try to sue more or less for piece of mind (emotional distress and the like). You had a real damage incurred while using something you technically paid to use.

A couple years ago a little rock or something came out of a waste management truck and broke the window on one of my company trucks. There was no way for them to know it was there, or would fly out, but they paid for it, and I don’t feel bad about it. I guess the drivers better start looking in the back before they take off.

Participant

If it was a ‘pay’ ramp, maybe. Free public ramp, probably not. There is always ‘small claims’. I’m sure they would bring up ‘due diligence’.

Participant

Quote by: kenhump

If it was a ‘pay’ ramp, maybe. Free public ramp, probably not. There is always ‘small claims’. I’m sure they would bring up ‘due diligence’.

We DO pay for it. That’s the problem, people always seem to forget that, on both the giving and receiving ends

Participant

If you have your trailer insured, then submit a claim to your insurance carrier. You’ll have to pay your deductible but the insurance carrier would “subrogate”, attempt to recover your deductible and any payment they made for the repair over your deductible. Bear in mind that many public agencies have what “immunity” for certain acts or decisions, etc but have no clue if this would fall into that category. The “immunity” as I understand it is because it is not the public entity that is penalized but actually all the people that pay tax or fees.

Participant

I live in this area. Why would you try to boat this river now? We haven’t had any water in about 8 months. You can walk across the river.

Participant

I have to agree with Scott, because the Racoon is bone dry. Why would anybody lauch their boat in the dry conditions we have had? It’s not a matter of legal lawsuits or who will pay the piper in court costs or if the state of Iowa is liable. Gosh, Common sense goes a long way. We have all screwed up. The difference is recognizing some liability on our own part. Maybe bank fising or launching a canoe? Or riding your motorcyle with your wife. Or hitting the beverage for a cool one. Sorry about your damage and hope your having a beter day. rob

Participant

Quote by: DWC

Otter,
    Unfortunately I was that guy this time. I was alone, it was dark, and I was pissed so I gave it hell. Bent my receiver hitch, ripped the coupler, messed up both rims, and later learned the axle is messed up. Of course later as in AFTER i put on new tires/rims. THere was a slight tweak in it I didn’t notice, ended up with another blow out and a bald tire. Lesson learned.

😕 … Sounds like ya got too much horse-power… fella that I was talking about had an old rust bucket with a six banger and a “three on the tree” 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.