Home Forums Miscellaneous Gardening Peach Trees

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone have peach trees in their yards. Have lots of room and seeing peach trees for sale. Don’t know anything about varieties. Some group from Madrid would get peaches from Colorado in the fall and these things were awesome. Any suggestions would be great. Have a good sized old apple tree and looking to plant 10 blueberry plants soon if dumb dog can stop messing with them. About 25 asparagus roots going in to.

Participant

have a friend 2 mi. north of highway 3 in north central Ia has a peach tree. gets some ocasionaly think were a little far north

Participant

I have a reliance peach tree. It is awesome. Great peaches. Early to bear. Nice looking tree. Doesn’t need a pollinator.

Participant

Be sure to use a lot of peat to raise acidity for the blueberry plants. Extremely important. Hard to grow in our soil. Some peaches do well here in the southern part of Iowa.

Participant

I have contender variety peach tree have had very good luck with. Just planted another one 2 weeks ago. Check with your local nursery they may be a little more expensive but it’s worth it over mail order ones.

Participant

Quote by: vics

Be sure to use a lot of peat to raise acidity for the blueberry plants. Extremely important. Hard to grow in our soil. Some peaches do well here in the southern part of Iowa.

This is correct. I went to a seminar on growing blueberry bushes here in Iowa and the plants do prefer soil that is slightly acidic whereas the soil in Iowa tends to be more of a neutral pH. When planting the bush, dig a hole and put a large quantity of peat moss in the bottom, then sprinkle some sulfur among the dirt to help lower the pH and cover the surface with wood chips. You will likely want to add some sulfur every once in a while to keep the pH down. I just planted a blueberry bush myself using this technique and we will have to see how it turns out.

Participant

Get your trees from Earl May. They are guaranteed and if they die you get free replacement- no questions asked. Just keep the receipt.

If you buy there plant starter, then the warrenty doubles to two years fro free replacement. As mentioned the two varieties of Contender and Reliance do not need pollinator. They will still flower and still attract the bees, but no cross pollincation is required —they are self pollinating.

Check with Earl May and they will give you all the info. you need for your Zone. We are in Zone 5 in Iowa. Just make sure to ask questions.

Do you want two trees? and Do you want self pollinators. I think that is they way to go, unless you are planting several trees. If one dies, the other tree can still thrive and do well.. Good Luck. robbie

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: SadieMae

Anyone have peach trees in their yards. Have lots of room and seeing peach trees for sale. Don’t know anything about varieties. Some group from Madrid would get peaches from Colorado in the fall and these things were awesome. Any suggestions would be great. Have a good sized old apple tree and looking to plant 10 blueberry plants soon if dumb dog can stop messing with them. About 25 asparagus roots going in to.

Look for a tree called the “Iowa Peach”. These are a cold hardy tree and should do better than what the big box stores sell that are shipped in from the south.

I got mine from Kelly Tree Farm.

http://www.kellytreefarm.com/shade.html

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

I have a peach tree in my yard. Maybe about 7 yrs old. Fabulous peaches when you can pick em when super ripe. Last season the tree produced zero peaches. I believe that is because the winter prior was too cold and killed the buds during the dormant stage. Hoping for fruit this year.

Do get a peach tree. I wish I had more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.