Home Forums Hunting Dog Training Paw licking, biting paw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I know this is an outdoor forum, but I am looking for some advice. I noticed last night that our dog has bit at her left front paw to the point where there is a tiny patch of her fur missing, and has reddened the skin underneath. Anyone have any suggestions for getting her to stop? I have been correcting her since I found the spot on her toe. We are not really sure if it’s just environmental allergies (pollen, grass, etc), or if it’s just anxiety due to a recent schedule change for my wife and I. I read something about dipping their paws in a commercial paw dip that helps eliminate anything she has picked up outside, as well as combat any yeast/fungal infections caused by the licking/nibbling. She normally licks her paws at bedtime for a short bit, then falls asleep, but it seems like this might have been in the last day or so 🙄 . Anyone else dealt with this with their dog?

Spionhund
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would start by making sure there isnt something in there. Headlamp and magnafying glass. Feel around really really good. If she is just focused on the one paw, there is a reason.
    Second, since you mentioned she is a habitual paw licker at night, she may have licked it to the point that she now has a skin infection going. For this she may need an anti biotic. You can try putting things on her feet like Bitter apple. But if it is raw, they alcohol may make it worse.
    You can put light weight booties on her feet. I use a really light weight boot to hunt. It is make of very thin material so that it doesnt bother the dog. Google mountain ridge sled dogs.

From there you get into trying to figure out what the allergy is. This can be costly. But normally it is a food allergy.

SO, what breed and what food do you feed.

Hope some of this helps

Spionhund
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You can try some benedryl to. Buy the liquid form it is easier to dispense. I believe the dose is 1mg per pound. This could also help if it is a anxiety issue. But keep in mind, just like with children Benedryl can either make them hyper or knock them out. SO just monitor how your dog reacts.

CedarStorm1975
    Participant
    Up
    Down

She’s a Scottie, we already have her on a grain free diet- regular dog food causes her skin problems, and she is on a thyroid pill for her hypothyroidism. We checked in between her paws really well….nothing there. Kind of thinking it’s a yeast infection from the licking, but also from walking in wet grass often the past couple weeks on our morning walks. I put some hydro cortisone lotion on the spot last night and covered it with a bandage- which helped with the redness.

SirOliver
    Participant
    Up
    Down

U take some peanut butter and put it on the other paw…

FranktheTank
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We have had this issue with our dog too. we took her to the vet and the doctor said the licking of the paws can be a sign the dog is experiencing some pain or discomfort somewhere. not necessary on that paw but somewhere on the dog. tall tale sign something is wrong. could be a multitude of things but the licking of the paws is like a coping mechanism for the dog.

Come to find out our dog had an anal gland that was wasn’t expressing itself naturally so it was building up pressure and causing a lot of pain for the animal. the doctor was able to take care of the problem and the licking stopped.

ahawk100
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Is the issue up by one of his nails? My dog twisted one of his nails and it took a couple of months before he ever quit.

CedarStorm1975
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Last night we tried a home remedy- used a gallon of water with 1/2 cup of white vinegar in it and had her stand in it for 5 mins……which actually seems to be working. The redness went away, and she is not licking and chewing at it. Apparently it removes any bacteria, and disinfects their feet and prevents further irritation. Will see how this works the next couple days……always seems like this kind of stuff happens on holiday weekends, haha 🙄

redwing32
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We actually just had the same issue, it was yeast. I think it was caused by us rinsing his feet off before he came in the house for the last few weeks and the long hair on his paws which must have stayed moist afterwards and allowed the yeast to grow and spread.  Our dogs paws were swollen and pink in-between the toes and on the bottom of his feet surrounding his pads. White vinegar dilluted in water was what worked. We also rubbed coconut oil into the areas as well including his nails and nail beds. Hope this helps someone else’s pooch in the future.

peterBrownE
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We actually just had the same issue, it was yeast. I think it was caused by us rinsing his feet off before he came in the house for the last few weeks and the long hair on his paws which must have stayed moist afterwards and allowed the yeast to grow and spread. Our dogs paws were swollen and pink in-between the toes and on the bottom of his feet surrounding his pads. White vinegar dilluted in water was what worked. We also rubbed coconut oil into the areas as well including his nails and nail beds. Hope this helps someone else’s pooch in the future. nomnomnow

Hello,

Does this work? Isn’t it harmful for them?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by peterBrownE.
    gsgramps
    Participant
    Up
    Down

try peroxide.  won’t hurt dog.  if it bubbles you know she has an infection.   can even be used to treat an infection in mouth

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.