Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Outboard Problems

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a 1997 200hp Evinrude vindicator. We went out Sunday fired up ran great went 62mph came down and fished…no issues We went to take off to the next spot and it took me an additional 5-6 seconds to get on plane then when I did we only ran 48mph… stopped fished then next take off I couldn’t get past 3000rpm 8 mph and couldn’t get on plane. I had issues for a little bit when I got it past 6mph it kept wanting to die, but I got passed that eventually so we ran 8mph back across the lake and after 3/4 mile I got on plane and hit 48mph again. Im not sure what’s going on its running smooth, no miss, it starts and fire strong I can no wake around no problem but past that is when issues arise. When I had it pinned at 3000rpm it sounded smooth it just wouldn’t go passed it and I eventually shimmed left and right and it got up on plane and took off and when it runs 48mph it sounds smooth as can be. If I didn’t know the boat was faster and had planning issues. you’d think it was running good at full speed.

I was thinking fuel issues fuel filter, primer bulb, Carbs not opening and closing (it has a hot foot maybe cable slipped)

Maybe a spun hub, but that doesn’t explain my issues of when it through a fit dying past six miles per hour.

Any Ideas im tearing into it Wednesday just want some other ideas I want to think its a little hinge swings big doors type of deal

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Check spark on all 6 cylinders. Check your fuel tank vent.

I always try to start at the easy stuff that sometimes is not as obvious as it should be. Gas tank vent, kinked fuel line, bulb staying firm, spark plugs etc etc

From what you explain it sounds like an erratic spark situation maybe dropping a cylinder briefly then picking it back up, but without actually being there its hard to tell. Start with the small stuff, then work to the bigger stuff.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

I disagree with spark issues, sounds like fuel. Check your filters, check for water, check fuel pressure, check primer bulb, then check your carb. If it was a Yamaha I would say its your low pressure fuel pumps going bad.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

Check out oil injection pump, sounds like motor is trying to protect its self by limiting rpm.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: Olefart

Check out oil injection pump, sounds like motor is trying to protect its self by limiting rpm.

Excellent point! Or thermostat is stuck, causing overheating, and safety switch is limiting RPM.

Participant

The limiting could be an issue the oil injection was taken out from a previous owner so I mix it myself. When I crank it up a sensor goes off after about 30 seconds and a light comes on the dash saying no oil but it has always ran fine after the light comes on. I have taken it out plenty of times and the dash light comes on but then it runs no problem. Any way to by pass that temporarily as a test? It could be an issue but its weird it would randomly decide to do it now when it never has, but it still acted like it had a major deficiency of fuel at a low speed when it kept dying going past 6mph and the cut off would sound like a sput like it was choked out.

Participant

Have had similar symptoms with a Merc outboard I used to own, replaced plugs, coil, fuel line, bulb, ended up replacing the fuel tank cap with the little vent screw. Old one even though it looked open, wasn’t and created a vaccum in the tank so fuel wouldn’t want to go up the line. Not much of a boat afficiando, so I don’t know if this would apply to yours.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Quote by: youngblood

Have had similar symptoms with a Merc outboard I used to own, replaced plugs, coil, fuel line, bulb, ended up replacing the fuel tank cap with the little vent screw. Old one even though it looked open, wasn’t and created a vaccum in the tank so fuel wouldn’t want to go up the line. Not much of a boat afficiando, so I don’t know if this would apply to yours.

Exactly why I mentioned starting with the small stuff. 20 plus years of repairing alot of omc and merc outboards. I have learned a few things.

Participant

That sounds to me like it will be one of 2 things…. Water in the fuel tank or the tank is not venting properly. With all the rain and humidity we have had lately, i would lean towards water in the tank.

Participant

I have narrowed it down to two things I think could be major players.

– the oil injection is removed it always throws a no oil light on the dash. I mix my oil my hand never had an issue but maybe its limiting my motor now. Seems odd to start acting up now but who knows. Anyway to temporarily by pass that system to check?

-Or my fuel pump has gone out. I changed the primer bulb, fuel filter, plugs, cleaned air ducts, checked carbs they look clean and are opening and closing all the way.

Is there anything I can do to test these ideas. A fuel pump is $400

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: Runngun675

I have narrowed it down to two things I think could be major players.

– the oil injection is removed it always throws a no oil light on the dash. I mix my oil my hand never had an issue but maybe its limiting my motor now. Seems odd to start acting up now but who knows. Anyway to temporarily by pass that system to check?

-Or my fuel pump has gone out. I changed the primer bulb, fuel filter, plugs, cleaned air ducts, checked carbs they look clean and are opening and closing all the way.

Is there anything I can do to test these ideas. A fuel pump is $400

Test fuel line pressure. Not sure how on your engine, but Google can tell you.

Participant

I had a problem once with an old fuel line that collapsed under high demand, ‘higher speed’. I like to try and start at the supply side of fuel and electricity.
    Good luck, they can be vexing at times.

Participant

@Bowfisher, if you’re still on here, can you please shoot me your contact information?  I have a buddy in the Cedar Rapids area that needs help with a 2-stroke Johnson.  Please email or text me.

[email protected]

515-201-2954

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.