Otter XT Lodge? 2018-06-22T11:25:50+00:00

Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Otter XT Lodge?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone every pull one of these by hand with two guys? I know it is 120lbs. And then you have all your gear. I am just going to put new thermal material on my Clam Nanook. But am looking into a larger tent to add to my equipment. Really like the Otter XT lodge and will never be taking that tent alone. But wondering how much of a bear it is to pull by hand with two guys.

Thanks!!

Ducks

• This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  ducks4me.
    northwoodsbucks
    Participant

I have not pulled that specific one but would not especially want to either unless I was pulling with a snowmobile or quad. I tend to default toward the lighter side on gear though unless I am driving out on the ice.

I am sure it would be fine when there is not much snow. And even with snow something like a smitty would help, that is a lot of weight though.

rericsson
    Participant

I usedd to own the Voyager and it was huge. It was not thermal, but pulling was heavy work. I was younger and more macho. Would have been great unit to pull with machine.

One option is to make a smitty sled. It will greatly reduce the drag and friction. Your slicing thru the snow with skiis and not pulling a tank.  I made one last year and love it. Not expensive and you can find builds on you tube. Kind of fun building the unit and I used some old cross country skiis. Just my 2 cents. Robbie

ducks4me
    Participant

Thanks for the insight guys!!  I appreciate it!!  Going to have to think this through a little more.

Ducks

cowboycowboy
    Participant

I like the idea of a smitty sled too.  I usually use my clam one man, but the kids like to go along too and they aren’t much helping pulling.  The two man clam about kills me, especially when it comes time to load it in the truck bed.

30-hot-0630-hot-06
    Participant

I bought Otter XT lodge early last season.  I pull it out to the ice fine.  uphill, down hill, even pretty long distances in a trip to the Mississipi last year.   usually packed with propane auger, vexilar, poles, heater, etc.    only thing I find cumbersome is lifting it into the truck by yourself.  If you’re going long distances it might just work better for one guy to pull until hes tired and then alternate.  Also if you haven’t made you purchase yet, I believe now I should have bought the one with swivel chairs as opposed to the bench seat as i’m sure the chairs are lighter.  only benefit to the bench is if you have kids or grand kids you could easily fit three people on it.

ducks4me
    Participant

Ended up waiting and bought the Otter X-Over Lodge.  Has the side doors and I did opt for the bench seat…….ends up the bench seat is lighter than the boat seats by 5 lbs.   Set it up and the thing is HUGE!!  Going to love the room and the side doors.  Not going to love the weight.  But we’ll see, maybe it will pull easier than I think.

Ducks

Philly
    Participant

I bought Otter XT lodge early last season. I pull it out to the ice fine. uphill, down hill, even pretty long distances in a trip to the Mississipi last year. usually packed with propane auger, vexilar, poles, heater, etc. only thing I find cumbersome is lifting it into the truck by yourself. If you’re going long distances it might just work better for one guy to pull until hes tired and then alternate. Also if you haven’t made you purchase yet, I believe now I should have bought the one with swivel chairs as opposed to the bench seat as i’m sure the chairs are lighter. only benefit to the bench is if you have kids or grand kids you could easily fit three people on it.

There is no way that thing pulls uphill and all around easily. Especially long distances. And especially with that heavy 40lb propane auger in it. I know I wouldn’t be able to pull all that through the snow half a block without being wore out. On ice, yes, everything pulls easy on bare ice. But in the snow, no way. I call BS.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.