Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Open-Water Redrock vs Saylorville

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wow – been a while since i’ve been here! Having kids kills ones outdoor activities! Anywho – Kids are getting to the age where they can start to get out on a boat with us, so my dad and I have just invested in a new SunTracker Fishing Barge (24ft) – Looking forward to getting out fishing in it for the first few years until the kids are old enough to want to tube or ski.

I’m looking at getting on the waiting list for a slip on either Saylorville or Redrock. Drive distance is 5 mins difference for me. My question is – Anyone have any recommendations on which lake offers better fishing opportunities from a boat? I’m not originally from DSM, but I know Saylorville seems to be the “Party lake”. We’re looking at mainly targeting crappies (drifting) and maybe some summertime channels. Anyone have experience on both lakes and can offer some insight on fishing both? Slips are pretty pricey – Not wanting to spend that money and find out I should have been on the other lake!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Fishing on Saylorville can be very good. The crappies are nice size if you can find them. Channel cat fishing is excellent. The white bass/wipers start as the temps get hot in July/August. Saylorville has much more boat traffic than Red Rock so keep that in mind.
    Fishing on Red Rock in my opinion is better. The crappie fishing on Red Rock can be exceptional with crappies up to 16″. White bass and wipers are plentiful and easy to catch. Red Rock is much bigger than Saylorville, doesn’t have as much boat traffic, and is a much prettier lake. Which ever lake you choose, keep your trailer handy so when the bite is going good on the other lake you can trailer up and try something different. Good Luck!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Red Rock hands down and don’t look back.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Another vote for Red Rock. Ville isn’t even close to as good.

Newboy1Newboy1
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks guys – Sounds like Red Rock it is. My dad’s not much of a fisherman – He got burned out with my grandpa when he was younger (Guess they learned with me – because I got hooked – pun intended). Mainly wanting to get him on crappies, as he does like to catch and eat them. . I’ve never owned a boat on a body of water that size – how hard is it to find and get on fish?

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m about half way between both as you are, and I probably go to Red Rock 10 times for every trip to Saylorville. Saylorville is nice on weekdays, but forget about weekends or holidays. I enjoy Red Rock particularly after Labor Day, when at times you feel like you have the whole lake to yourself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.