Home Forums Hunting Upland Game Opening weekend reports

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Terrible. Lots of corn in. 5 of us never saw a rooster. Private land and have hunted it for 40 years. Never this bad. Hopes it gets better. North Central.

Participant

Our group of 5 got our limit by just after 12 on Saturday. Hunted private, which corn by each spot had just come out the 2 days prior so we got lucky. Saw quite a few hens as well. Many of the birds were really young. Talked to another group of 5 at gas station & they also shot their limit. North central iowa

alan_50501alan_50501
    Participant

Went out Saturday and Sunday walked alot didn’t see any way to much corn still in

Fort dodge

Participant

No reports for me on pheasants, but I did get a chance to go to watch ISU vs TCU. Wow……….what a game!! 😀

CedarStorm1975CedarStorm1975
    Participant

I talked to a few guys at the store here in Cedar Rapids on Saturday. Every one of them empty handed, and were headed out to duck hunt that evening. I used to get excited about Pheasant opener….that was back in the 80’s and 90’s. I haven’t shot a pheasant now in Iowa in over 10 years. If you want to hunt like it’s the old days……go to Kansas 😉

Participant

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

I talked to a few guys at the store here in Cedar Rapids on Saturday. Every one of them empty handed, and were headed out to duck hunt that evening. I used to get excited about Pheasant opener….that was back in the 80’s and 90’s. I haven’t shot a pheasant now in Iowa in over 10 years. If you want to hunt like it’s the old days……go to Kansas 😉

x2

Participant

Shot 2 onsaturday seen 7 hens and5 roosters went today notta one zip

Participant

too much corn, but we still got a few. missed a few more. They are out there.

Participant

I’m excited for some snow to come in. When I was out, there were a lot that were just running and getting beyond range, but snow should tamp that down.

Participant

Lots of corn in up here.

Went by myself with the dog both sat and sun.

Saw decent numbers of birds limited in very short time frame.

Participant

Went out Sunday Morning Dubuque county and pushed 2 water way sloughs with good cover.
    No birds.
    Lots of corn in sooooo ?
    Wish I could convince some farmers not to mow their sloughs, tried to explain it helps the birds, rabbits, and deer, not to mention protects better for erosion.
    Got told the critters can eat somewhere else, another one said he likes to mow and check his crops.
    ?
    Grew up on a farm, our sloughs were grass, never mowed them, never cut and baled them, just the way we did it.
    Too each his own.
    Sure would help the birds though.

Participant

My group shot 15 Saturday. Saw plenty of birds, still plenty of corn in.

basspro23basspro23
    Participant

I went this morning, at Chichaqua. Saw 1 female pheasant, and 3 does and a rather large buck. 2 hours of walking, two different fields.. just a female. I know they are there, but dangit I can’t find ’em!

Participant

1 hen, 1 rooster, 12 quail after 2 hours in SE IA.

Participant

Flushed two hens and two roosters today on public ground in central Iowa in about two hours of hunting.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.