Home Forums Hunting Upland Game Opening weekend reports

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Central Iowa.

We went North of Des Moines in the Chichaqua area and some public ground in Story County. Walked several fields with good dogs and didn’t flush a single bird. We saw several vehicles driving around and most of the fields had orange in them, but we didn’t hear any shots around us.

The only pheasant killed was with my truck at about 70mph on I35 North of Ankeny. Luckily no damage to the truck as it hit HARD.

Anyone else have a report?

Participant

I duck hunted both days but ran into several guys pheasant hunting on the same public ground. One group of 3 guys and a dog put up 2 birds over a day and many many fields and dropped one. A father and son and dog hunted a day with no birds. 4 guys and no dog put up one hen. Best I personally heard of first hand was someone shot a limit between Iowa City and Kalona. This was on highly guarded, zero permission granted land precisely managed for pheasant by an upland enthusiast as a pet project of sorts so not entirely representative of the region.

As usual southeast Iowa blows for pheasants for another season.

Two groups mentioned they saw quail. Encouraging? I dunno. Ill get excited when they are common enough seeing 1 or 2 doesnt make the evening news.

Can’t wait to see all the reports of NC and NW guys shooting limits across groups of 4 guys before lunch.

Participant

Southwest Iowa. Did 6.8 miles on public land on Saturday with a dog and had 2 roosters flush not close enough for a shot. Wife’s family was out on Saturday/Sunday and shot 4 roosters and 3 quail. There was 10 of them hunting though. I know a lot of crops are still in but figured a better showing of birds than there were. Only saw a couple of other hunters though.

Participant

Too much corn, didn’t go.

nater3nater3
    Participant

Three of us with one dog yesterday shot 7 roosters and probably saw three more that we missed or didn’t get shots on. Can’t remember how to post a picture on here. We were north of Ames.

Participant

North Central Iowa and 9 of us shot 9 birds by 1p. Every place we hunted was surrounded by standing corn, and looking forward to hitting again in a couple weeks.

We also shot a couple bonus wood ducks that flushed from a creek bottom we hunted.

nater3nater3
    Participant

Quote by: CRIA1576

North Central Iowa and 9 of us shot 9 birds by 1p. Every place we hunted was surrounded by standing corn, and looking forward to hitting again in a couple weeks.

We also shot a couple bonus wood ducks that flushed from a creek bottom we hunted.

I know where you were! 🙂 I was supposed to be with you guys, but went to the Iowa game instead. We hit a lot of the same spots yesterday and picked up 7 more with three of us and one dog. I hunted with you last year opening day, but didn’t realize you were on the site here. How did Calvin do Saturday?

Participant

Bird numbers in the areas I pheasant hunt in North Central Iowa seem to be down a bit compared to last year. This could potentially be due, at least in part, to all the corn that is still standing. The wet weather this fall has delayed harvest, making the bird hunting tougher than usual. There are still birds to be had, but you have to work a bit harder to find them. I don’t personally know of any groups where everyone shot their limit although, as mentioned above, some have had better luck than others.

Participant

I’m going tomorrow, NC Iowa. Hopefully can get on a few. You guys are not filling me up with exuberant optimism, however.

Participant

Nater3- I just sent you a PM

Participant

Saw a lot of birds all summer and this fall around Winnebago county in NC Iowa, but like everyone else is saying there’s an awful lot of standing corn up here yet making the hunting tough.

Participant

My group had 8 guy 4 dogs seen good numbers hunted one big public area and one private killed 19 birds can’t wait for the corn to get out and some snow

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Bird numbers in the areas I pheasant hunt in North Central Iowa seem to be down a bit compared to last year. This could potentially be due, at least in part, to all the corn that is still standing. The wet weather this fall has delayed harvest, making the bird hunting tougher than usual. There are still birds to be had, but you have to work a bit harder to find them. I don’t personally know of any groups where everyone shot their limit although, as mentioned above, some have had better luck than others.

I’ll second this. We hunted north central public and private and did very poor as did most guys in the area. In two days we saw a dozen or so hens and six roosters hunting with four other guys and two first year dogs. All the birds were singles too, not one multiple bird flush. The same areas last year produced triple the numbers and it was 80 degrees out.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

jerdog515jerdog515
    Participant

I got these 2 this afternoon. Birds were very flighty. I also got a bonus shed in the middle of a prairie!

Participant

Yesterday I shot my limit in Kossuth county by 10 a.m. Missed one due to a dud shell, missed another one that was a long shot(should’ve not even shot)and had three more flush out of range. Didn’t go out Sat until after dinner due to taking care of the deer I shot with my bow, I walked one road ditch and didn’t see anything. I did jump one dragging my deer out Sat morning and saw two more running from one field of corn to another.

There is still a ton of corn in the field so things should improve when it comes out. My job has me out on the gravel roads on a daily basis and I think there are good numbers our there, we just need to get the cover thinned down.

ETA. forgot to mention this was on public ground.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.