Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting One Piece of Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Also, parking a giant ground blind in the middle of the great wide open makes them run/stay away too. Keep your eyes open for sheds & shrooms.

Participant

Just because you have any bird 100 yards out in front of you with head down or not looking at you, it doesnt give you freedom to move your arms, head etc. without scanning 360. Many a birds will walk right in behind you and you will usually get busted

Also. spray your hunting clothes with permadone (sp?) the day before. never a tick on me since.

Participant

3 words of advice in no particular order. Location, Location, Location

Participant

All good posts.
    My advice: after all of the above has failed, do what ever it takes, each bird is different. If you have a hung up tom within sight and he won’t come in, DO over call, keep an extra decoy with you and raise it up on a long stick and wave it around, run two calls at once, etc., I’ve tried lots of wierd things and 50% have worked, besides what have you got to loose, he’s not coming in anyway.

Participant

Quote by: tracyiowa53

All good posts.
    My advice: after all of the above has failed, do what ever it takes, each bird is different. If you have a hung up tom within sight and he won’t come in, DO over call, keep an extra decoy with you and raise it up on a long stick and wave it around, run two calls at once, etc., I’ve tried lots of wierd things and 50% have worked, besides what have you got to loose, he’s not coming in anyway.

Excellent advice, no two turkeys behave the same.

Participant

KNOW YOUR TARGET!!! If possible take a kid and/or introduce a new person to the sport.

Participant

Stay away from the Turkey’s carrying diplomas, they’re educated!

Pattern your shotgun…I learned the hard way. I was shooting around a foot off with the factory sights (mossberg tact. turkey) and that particular load. Also…take a rangefinder and shoot some reference points as u would bow hunting. Depending on the lay of the land, that bird might look 35 and is really 47.

Participant

Keep a variety of calls at hand as you never kno which one will work.
    Camo camo camo Skin needs covered

If you have a decent sized piece of land, it can pay off to just relax on the highest point with a good pair of binos. Turkeys are constantly milling around and cover quite a bit of ground throughout the day…sit long enough and your bound to find ’em.

Participant

A spot that has been really good to me has the hunter sitting on ground that is looped on three sides by an old dry run creek. The caller can see them in the distant timber, before they cross the low ground. When they cross and are on your level again they are danger close. 😀

Participant

Being where they want to be is much better than trying to get them to be somewhere they don’t.

Participant

Turkeys will cross water and fences, if they want to. 😀

Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Being where they want to be is much better than trying to get them to be somewhere they don’t.

This is worth burning into your memory and will also save you a lot of frustration.

Participant

Quote by: DWC

If you have a decent sized piece of land, it can pay off to just relax on the highest point with a good pair of binos. Turkeys are constantly milling around and cover quite a bit of ground throughout the day…sit long enough and your bound to find ’em.

If I have had a failed hunt for whatever reason I will sit for quite a while and even nap lightly. Many times I have been woke up by a gobbler and called him in or found new strutting grounds. I don’t like to sneak around once they have shut up in the morning, I prefer they not know I’m there and set up a new plan for tomorrow. Odds are you are going to spook a lot of turkeys walking around once they quit talking and you don’t know where they are at. This works well if you are in a new area that hasn’t been scouted especially if you have a couple of days to hunt.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.