Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Olympic Event Question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Might not be the proper forum, but didn’t there used to be an event that combined Alpine or cross-country skiing and target shooting? Was it totally discontinued or just not covered this year? Or perhaps I just missed it?

Participant

You must have missed it. They had them.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

They had it. It was covered during a weekday afternoon broadcast.

Participant

Biathlon

Participant

Watched some of it. It was pretty intense at times as the winds were reaking havoc on their accuracy. That and have their hearts beating out of their chests.
    Strategy…. Do I wait until the wind stops to make the shot or do I risk missing and getting a penalty? It was pretty intense watching a dozen or so shooters just sitting at the ready for the wind to die down and then when it did and one shooter started there was a flurry of shots down range.

Participant

Yes, it is the biathlon and I was able to watch a couple races. Martin Fourcade from France is just phenomenal in this event. It has to be incredibly difficult to hold a rifle steady while your heart and breathing are racing. I wonder how these guys train for this event.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Yes, it is the biathlon and I was able to watch a couple races. Martin Fourcade from France is just phenomenal in this event. It has to be incredibly difficult to hold a rifle steady while your heart and breathing are racing. I wonder how these guys train for this event.

Probably by skiing and shooting a lot :mrgreen:

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

In case you missed it, they always seem to find a way to through in politics…

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/02/22/olympic-biathlete-offers-support-assault-weapon-ban/

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

I would like to get my hands on the 22 they are shooting and more specifically the ammo.

My experience with 22 is the ammo is all really terrible. I haven’t found any that I find to be greatly accurate all the time. I have some that you can get them grouping well and then all of a sudden you get a 7″ flyer.

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

In case you missed it, they always seem to find a way to through in politics…

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/02/22/olympic-biathlete-offers-support-assault-weapon-ban/

Sounds like they’d be happier in Germany or Norway to me. See ya.

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Probably by skiing and shooting a lot :mrgreen:

Ha! 😀

What I mean is I wonder if they have training centers with something like a fitness center next to their shooting range. This way they could run on a treadmill or some machine that simulates cross country skiing to get their breathing and heart rate up and then hustle into the range to try to shoot seven shots on target, then back onto the treadmill to run some more, and then back to the range and so on and so forth. I’m sure they incorporate outdoors training with actual skiing, but I would imagine that sometimes it is convenient to do some aspects of your training indoors.

Participant

In the day and age we live in, I am sure there are simulators that they use indoors to simulate skiing and shooting.

stick500stick500
    Participant

It’s been at every Winter Olympics since 1960 in Squaw Valley and has of course expanded with more events. Prior to 1960 they had some competitions for something similar called Military Patrol that was held at four Winter Olympic Games: 1924, 1928, 1936, and 1948. Medals were awarded for military patrol in 1924, but it was a demonstration event for the other three Games.

I always wonder if any of the competitors ever take it to the next level and go elk or deer hunting in remote areas on their skis?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.