Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I use a lot of olive oil cooking. Recently I happened upon 100% California extra Virgin, first press. This is an excellent oil. Rivals more expensive imported oil at better price. I have seen it in Walmart, Fareway and HyVee.

Participant

Hello Ken: I have never used olive oil. Do you use it for frying fish ?

Participant

We use olive oil anytime a recipe calls for oil. We usually use the higher price stuff because it must be better, right? 😉 Definitely going to check Hy Vee for this. Thanks Ken.

A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Teddy Roosevelt

Participant
    OldbearOldbear
    Participant

My wife uses Olive Oil all the time from Walmart but are you sure its really Virgin Ken.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

Look into Avocado Oil. It has the highest smoke point of all oils and little to no taste. If you’re worried about the health side, it’s VERY similar to Olive oil.
    Extra virgin olive oil has a very low smoke point making it not a great option for high heat cooking (cast iron etc)

It’s not as readily available as olive oil, but there are some good options on Amazon at nearly identical prices to olive oil

Participant

Quote by: Oldbear

My wife uses Olive Oil all the time from Walmart but are you sure its really Virgin Ken.

That’s what the bottle days, but coming from California they may fave a different meaning to ‘extra virgin’. 😉

Participant

I use it all the time. I buy it at Costco don’t really look at the price though.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

A good bit of olive oil isn’t really even olive oil. If you put a real extra-virgin olive oil in the refrigerator, it will become thick and cloudy as it cools completely and will eventually solidify. Some fake oils may also become thick and cloudy in the refrigerator as they are cut with low-grade, refined olive oil but they will mostly be clumpy and inconsistent in their viscosity.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

We usually use olive oil in my household also, but lately my wife has been using coconut oil. Seems to work just as well. For frying fish I have been using Cajun injector cottonseed oil with good results.

Participant

May not be totally virgin but at the most it had just the tip…..

Participant

Quote by: llewellinsetter

A good bit of olive oil isn’t really even olive oil. If you put a real extra-virgin olive oil in the refrigerator, it will become thick and cloudy as it cools completely and will eventually solidify. Some fake oils may also become thick and cloudy in the refrigerator as they are cut with low-grade, refined olive oil but they will mostly be clumpy and inconsistent in their viscosity.

Try it. I wouldn’t bump it if it wasn’t real.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Quote by: kenhump

Quote by: llewellinsetter

Try it. I wouldn’t bump it if it wasn’t real.

That’s the brand I use. I too get it at Costco in a two-pack of 24 oz bottles for something like $20. They have discontinued carrying it and now have their own label “Kirkland Organic” which is equally good.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

A nice discussion! I have read multiple times that for cooking that you want to use regular olive oil, and that is what I have been using, and only use extra virgin for marinades, dressings etc. Recently I have been using 100% corn oil after reading an interesting article about the difference, seems very little. I thought how can a true Iowan not use corn if there is no difference? Anybody use corn oil instead of olive?

lunker99lunker99
    Participant

Quote by: trex

A nice discussion! I have read multiple times that for cooking that you want to use regular olive oil, and that is what I have been using, and only use extra virgin for marinades, dressings etc. Recently I have been using 100% corn oil after reading an interesting article about the difference, seems very little. I thought how can a true Iowan not use corn if there is no difference? Anybody use corn oil instead of olive?

Yes, made the switch a while back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.