Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits Old shoes on fencelines!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If you have never saw the tradition and if in the fort dodge area and I believe its on the road to
    Dolliver park they can be found. Boots only I think.

Participant

It started as boots only. Maybe 30 years ago. Now all kinds of shoes and boots. It is north of Dolliver Park. I was told it was for those that didn’t have them. But I can’t say this is a fact. Just what I’ve heard.

drifty4drifty4
    Participant

Down around the Lake of the Ozarks area that we used to visit, the shoe fence, and the cup tree were well known landmarks. That was before 911 address times. Those and the little wooden arrows with peoples names on them were the only road signs to be found once you got off of the main roads.

Genesis 27:3
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

jerdog515jerdog515
    Participant

The ones by Dolliver I had heard started by the land owner finding a boot along the road so he put it on the fence so the owner would find it. Then others just started showing up and today there are many that have been dropped off.

Participant

Al Bushman’s clothes line…or closet if you will, since he rarely sports shoes cept for church and huntin ladies in town.

Participant

I’m not sure. My neighbor has then on his fence posts and hanging on the side of his old silo. I just thought since he was an old horse trader it was a western theme. I personally like the rock stacking on top of each other on rock piles near the road.

Participant

Quote by: Ihuntcurs

I’m not sure. My neighbor has then on his fence posts and hanging on the side of his old silo. I just thought since he was an old horse trader it was a western theme. I personally like the rock stacking on top of each other on rock piles near the road.

Cairn

Leaving Ely Mn. after canoe trip to BWCA we would tie shoes together and throw up in a tree on south side of 169 a few miles out of town (as others did). They weren’t worth bringing home. Road repair took out the tree awhile back so we found another up the Echo Trail. 🙂

Participant

WOW! I posted this 5 years ago and still getting comments THAKS GUYS. I like all of them really like the soles facing up means your going to heaven. there is a lot of them on old 141 between Smithland and Sioux City. It makes for an interesting drive check it out some time. Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.