Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting October Buck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I harvested this buck 5 minutes inside of shooting time. I heard him creeping through the undergrowth in the dark and make a low slow quite popping grunt once, so I knew one was there, I just couldn’t see it. When it got a bit lighter, I was able to make out a slight silhouette of a deer, but no antlers, so I thought he was a big doe. When shooting time and light rolled around, I was able to see he was a buck, slowly creeping by in front of me about 40 yards out. When he stepped behind some trees, I stood up, and quietly doe bleated and grunted a little bit. When he stepped out again, he was less than 15 yards out at my 2:00. He locked eyes with me for 3 minutes, and I just knew I was busted, and that he was about to bolt. My heart sank as I stood as still as possible, trying to keep my legs from shaking, knowing that I was about to watch this buck run off without me being able to set my pin on him. Then he dropped his head down and to the left. That’s when I drew and shot. He piled up 40 yards out. Reverse ground shrinkage on this one. MAN I LOVE DEER HUNTING!

He even had a few little flecks of white in his coat and a large white spot on his rump. If this would be considered piebald, then this is the first buck I’ve ever harvested with it. I haven’t put a tape to him because I’m horrible at taking measurements and let my taxidermist do it for me. What are your thoughts on what he scores? Gross, not Net. Nets are for fishing… He’s got 11 score-able points.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Nice!!! I think near 160″

Participant

Nice buck! Guessing around 140-145

Participant

Nice deer and congrats.

Participant

Very cool deer…. congrats!

Participant

Quote by: BrownItsDown

I harvested this buck 5 minutes inside of shooting time Friday morning. I heard him creeping through the undergrowth in the dark and make a low slow quite popping grunt once, so I knew one was there, I just couldn’t see it. When it got a bit lighter, I was able to make out a slight silhouette of a deer, but no antlers, so I thought he was a big doe. When shooting time and light rolled around, I was able to see he was a buck, slowly creeping by in front of me about 40 yards out. When he stepped behind some trees, I stood up, and quietly doe bleated and grunted a little bit. When he stepped out again, he was less than 15 yards out at my 2:00. He locked eyes with me for 3 minutes, and I just knew I was busted, and that he was about to bolt. My heart sank as I stood as still as possible, trying to keep my legs from shaking, knowing that I was about to watch this buck run off without me being able to set my pin on him. Then he dropped his head down and to the left. That’s when I drew and shot. He piled up 40 yards out. Reverse ground shrinkage on this one. MAN I LOVE DEER HUNTING!

He even had a few little flecks of white in his coat and a large white spot on his rump. If this would be considered piebald, then this is the first buck I’ve ever harvested with it. I haven’t put a tape to him because I’m horrible at taking measurements and let my taxidermist do it for me. What are your thoughts on what he scores? Gross, not Net. Nets are for fishing… He’s got 11 score-able points.

What type of landscape were you hunting? Did it seem like he was engaging in any rotting activity? It looks like you were on a field edge? Awesome buck by the way!

Participant

I was hunting a small timber. I posed him for pics in a corn field.

I would say this guy was slowly cruising, maybe returning from running his scrape lines, or eating, and probably going to lay down and start chewing his cud within the next hour. He wasn’t chasing, and I didn’t see any does. Scrapes started showing up mid Oct, and don’t look like they’re being hit too hard yet. I have scared off bucks within the past week by grunting and rattling, so I would say it’s still pre rut here.

I removed the antler tag for pics and returned it after pics.

Participant

Good one, congrats.

Participant

Quote by: BrownItsDown

I was hunting the small timber behind my house. I posed him for pics in my corn foodplot. I knocked down the corn with my skidloader midway through youth season because we couldn’t see deer that we knew were there. Food plot worked well for youth season, and I imagine it will for late bow and muzzy, but I haven’t seen any daytime deer in it recently.

I would say this guy was slowly cruising, maybe returning from running his scrape lines, or eating, and probably going to lay down and start chewing his cud within the next hour. He wasn’t chasing, and I didn’t see any does. Scrapes started showing up on Oct 19th, and don’t look like they’re being hit too hard yet. I have scared off bucks within the past week by grunting and rattling, so I would say it’s still pre rut here.

I removed the antler tag for pics and returned it after pics.

I haven’t seen hardly any buck daylight activity. Thanks for taking the time to respond and congrats!!!

Participant

140-145

Participant

Congratulations on the nice buck! I agree with the guys that you are probably looking 140-150 gross. That is an awesome deer and I hope to get an opportunity next week!

bigbuck31ptbigbuck31pt
    Participant

Very nice!

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

NorhawkNorhawk
    Participant

Congrats on harvesting a nice buck! Will make a nice wall mounter! 😀

Participant

145ish congrats!

Participant

I love the rack and the white freckling is a bonus. Congrats!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.