Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing Oahe

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anybody fish Oahe open water this late in the year?

Participant

wish I had the funds to go,I would be there in a minute as I have never been there.
    I would be looking for them in the shallows close to dark,and suspended during the day.
    this time of year it is not unusual to see them chasing bait to the surface early in the morning or late in the evening,it would almost remind you of crappies pushing minnows to the surface.

Participant

Over on WC Hutch puts out reports weekly and he says that Oahe is doing OK but Sharpe is better.

Participant

most people this time of year fish the river at night below the dam. The bite has been really good the last few weeks from what I’ve been hearing.

Participant

My favorite place on earth to fish for walleye is below the dam at Fort Thompson. Love to drift downstream using jigs and and crawler and then fast troll back towards the dam pulling crankbaits. Bonus fish have included coho salmon, small and white bass, plus some real nice perch.

Participant

The system is full of water. I think they will be dumping for a while yet. Should be lots of fish in the tailwaters. Here is a link for more info.
    http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/Missions/DamandLakeProjects/MissouriRiverDams.aspx

Participant

Quote by: sparkie

Anybody fish Oahe open water this late in the year?

Yes. If its open and you can stand to be in the boat now is a great time on oahe. I don’t make it much any more but when I lived up there nothing beat chasing eyes while everyone else was chasing birds.

Participant

fished below the dam, used Don Mentele for a guide, limited the 2 days I was there, not bad for a 40 degree swing in temp, 180 degree switch in the wind that had hurricane force the second day. I should be used to that, seems every trip I take the weather does a total turn around The Spring Creek sign works well for hiding the afternoon refreshments 😆 😆 this was day one, only hour the water was flat, but was the best fishing of the day

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.