Home Forums Hunting Firearms Legislation NYC rental truck terror attack

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Unfortunately we can’t make the punishment swift and equal or worse when a crime of that stature is committed. Public stoning, public hanging…..i know its old school, but it worked.

Participant
    Up
    Down

jereseib, I have friends who collect guns so someone having 40 guns doesn’t bother me at all nor does it have anything to do with common sense or common sense gun laws. I think an adult man who has hundreds of comic books is odd and is not common sense. That is the persons right to own those comic books though like it’s someones right to collect guns or cars or coins or the insanity that are women’s shoes.

The main thing that anti-gun people either don’t understand or refuse to admit is the problem is not the gun, the automobile, the knife, the hammer or anything else that is used to harm another person, it’s the person that is choosing to do the harm and why they are doing it. You can’t legislate crazy or crimes of passion or, as we all well know, terrorism. It is so frustrating to have guns constantly blamed for all of society’s woes when our woes are so very much deeper than that.

Also, the Newtown shooting involved a mentally ill person who killed his own mother in order to steal her guns to go shoot other people with. Short of snapping your fingers and having all guns disappear, what gun law or laws could prevent that? There are already laws against stealing, murder, and mentally ill people having unsupervised access to guns and he broke all of those laws! Laws don’t magically fix or change things for the better.

Believe me, if I saw them propose a gun law that might lessen my rights but would honestly be better for society I would certainly be open to it but all the laws they propose are idiotic and just more pablum for their base of frightened followers who think we can somehow legislate ourselves into some magical world of happy unicorn owning multi sexual people or what ever the Liberal dream world is these days.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: hellrzr

jereseib, I have friends who collect guns so someone having 40 guns doesn’t bother me at all nor does it have anything to do with common sense or common sense gun laws. I think an adult man who has hundreds of comic books is odd and is not common sense. That is the persons right to own those comic books though like it’s someones right to collect guns or cars or coins or the insanity that are women’s shoes.

The main thing that anti-gun people either don’t understand or refuse to admit is the problem is not the gun, the automobile, the knife, the hammer or anything else that is used to harm another person, it’s the person that is choosing to do the harm and why they are doing it. You can’t legislate crazy or crimes of passion or, as we all well know, terrorism. It is so frustrating to have guns constantly blamed for all of society’s woes when our woes are so very much deeper than that.

Also, the Newtown shooting involved a mentally ill person who killed his own mother in order to steal her guns to go shoot other people with. Short of snapping your fingers and having all guns disappear, what gun law or laws could prevent that? There are already laws against stealing, murder, and mentally ill people having unsupervised access to guns and he broke all of those laws! Laws don’t magically fix or change things for the better.

Believe me, if I saw them propose a gun law that might lessen my rights but would honestly be better for society I would certainly be open to it but all the laws they propose are idiotic and just more pablum for their base of frightened followers who think we can somehow legislate ourselves into some magical world of happy unicorn owning multi sexual people or what ever the Liberal dream world is these days.

Very well said. ^^

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: dogdown

Quote by: jereseib

Quote by: TrapCyclone

The “good guy with a gun” is the weakest argument Ive ever heard for less gun control.

When seconds count and the police are minutes away, I happen to think the “good guy with a gun” argument is a pretty good one.

Wrong! Youve been watching too many Steven Seagal movies. This isnt Hollywood where some guy takes down a terrorist with his little concealed carry pistol he’s hiding in his sock. How many times do you think they actually save someones life compared to how many people have been killed?

It’s your Hollywood Liberals that are promoting and glorifying gun violence. Again, if you want to talk gun control, start with the entertainment industry. Reality tv sucks, but at least there’s no body count compared to your made for shows and movies, unless of course your watching Cops. And we all know that these are fine outstanding citizens to begin with. The one gun control law that probably actually applied here and worked was that prevented him from buying a gun due to citizenship. But that law did not stop him from killing in mass numbers.

As I stated in an earlier debate with you concerning Vega, it was only a matter of time before this type of attack was going to happen in the US and this will not be the last. And the right situation will result in much higher numbers. How could we forget the young children in Oklahoma, didn’t their lives matter because they were killed by a truck bomb. It’s only a matter of time.

I called you out because you and Oaxaca don’t have any problem chirping when a gun is involved but yet you remain silent till called out. What about Colorado, you going to tell us that a guy with his little concealed carry gun couldn’t have made a difference? You don’t know what is being carried for conceal. I’m sure some are carrying more than enough stopping power thru the windshield of pickup. I would bet that you would never sit long enough behind a windshield if a guy with one of those little concealed carry handguns pointing your direction.

And last, what about the world wide web, is this not as deadly as any gun, where do you think these guys become radicalized from. Go ahead an argue all you want, but I think your arguing to the wrong crowd.

I didnt chime in because I have better things to do than sit here and refresh this page over and over until something controversial pops up. With fishing season being extremely slow and winding down I come on here once a week at most anymore. That and the fact that I already explained this incident has nothing to do with gun control, the only ones making it an issue are you guys.

And you can talk about the hypocrisy of “Hollywood Liberals” all you want, but who do you think eats these kinds of movies up? I’ll give you a hint, women and gay men arent sitting around waiting for the latest Rambo movie to hit theaters.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: hellrzr

Banning bump stocks is idiotic? What else besides that even has a snowballs chance of getting done? If you want to shoot automatic weapons go join the military.

Participant
    Up
    Down

“Banning bump stocks is idiotic? What else besides that even has a snowballs chance of getting done? If you want to shoot automatic weapons go join the military.”

I didn’t comment on bump stocks. I could see bump stocks being a sacrificial sheep in this case if necessary. Honestly though, how many people knew or used bump stocks before this instance? How many times has a bump stock been used in the commission of a crime? They are a novelty item that a person chose to use for an evil purpose. Since this incident everyone is now well aware that a bump stock does not turn a semi automatic weapon into and automatic weapon. They also do not add a grenade launcher feature to the weapon as indicated by CNN! That is fantasy. It does aid in the user being able to possibly shoot faster than they could without the bump stock. Having never used one I will revert to commits I’ve read from those who have and to even use the things it take a certain technique and practice to be able to even use the dump things in a remotely useful manner. And everyone also knows that even a fully automatic weapons being held by the user is incredibly inefficient and a semi automatic being used by someone who is proficient with the weapon is far superior.

This topic was beaten into the ground on the last go around with this subject but you will hopefully remember the commits that were posted where Nancy Polosi said that she certainly hopes that a bump stock ban would lead to more gun laws and more banning of guns and gun related items. That is the main reason I would not like to see a ban on them. Where does it stop? When do they stop taking away rights from honest, law abiding tax payers and start making a real impact on meaningful punishment of those who do commit crimes or finding a way, if there is one, to truly help those with mental illness? Personally I would look at getting rid of bump stocks because they do seem like a possible loop hole type of accessory but we are at a point where it’s not going to matter.

Terrorists, like the one in New York, will not be going out and buying guns and bump stocks, they will be going to Home Depot and car rental places and legally renting the largest vehicle they can and running down groups of people. Why has there been no immediate call for a ban on rental vehicles or having a background check or waiting period before you can rent one? Why is Chuck Schummer not going crazy about that. According to the Liberals it must be the rental trucks fault or Home Depots fault for legally renting him a truck. And had they not rented him a truck because he looked suspicious than they would want the company brought up on charges of a hate crime because he’s Middle Eastern and has a beard so that would certainly mean that the entire company of Home Depot hates Muslims and therefore must be put out of business.

Nothing is going to change as long as the same people are running the show. I hoped that President Trump would be able to make a difference but he gets no help from either side because he’s not one of them and they ALL hate that he’s part of their game now. Neither side wanted that. It’s incredibly frustrating to say the least.

Participant
    Up
    Down

The reason that you will not hear of calls on restricting rentals and the focus will be on guns is simple, safety from attack is not the goal, disarming the general population is. No they are not coming to get our guns tomorrow, instead it is one small step at a time, by demonizing certain types of weapons, marginalizing gun owners, creating a culture where ownership is frowned on. Removing reasons to own, such as hunting opportunities, shooting ranges, making it just harder. That’s why banning bump stocks should be fought, next it will be mag capacity, limit firearm numbers, ammo, storage restrictions ect until the desired result is achieved. In a free country I will not stand for someone telling me what I need or don’t need! If they don’t want one, don’t get one.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Random Advocate:

What about the thousands of Americans who own over 400 guns? How do we track them and constantly monitor their mental state? Who will draw the line and who will declare it was crossed? What if they revert back to a safe state of mind?

Who monitors the people without any firearms or knife? A simple boombox on a crowded subway platform could cause enough panic to push several people onto the tracks.

Let the media propagate the ar15 as the optimal machine. They are clearly not hunters. For example: A 12ga with 00 buck would have been much more effective in Miami. Sidenote: try sporting clays with an AK style shotgun, it can be weirdly fun.

A 9mm or 40 s&w would have easily pierced the small truck’s windshield and caused damage to the driver. Why do you assume people only carry 380 acp?

If we’d adopt laws like New Jersey, he wouldn’t have gotten that BB gun. Unless he bought it illegally which is fairly easy if you have the cash for black market purchases or a printer to forge a permit. Why didn’t he build a ghost gun ar15 off of the internet? It only takes an hour to do according to the news.

Hackers need not rent the truck for New York, they can take their pick from certain production drive by wire vehicles on the road. It has been proven that they can bypass OEM firewalls and drive the vehicle via the factory onstar type systems. Think of how long it look Toyota to fix their acceleration issue, will we believe the driver before the hacker takes over more vehicles?

Should all vehicles be produced with a quicklink for the LEO to easily disable your vehicle? Should all previous vehicles be retroactively fitted with such a system?

How about an old fashion truck jacking? Stolen farm chemical trailers?

Gang violence or suicides cause more deaths than terrorism in the USA. What are we doing to solve those issues? What is our success rate?

If you made it this far, I apologize for mostly wasting your time. Hopefully it provoked some thoughts.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

The “good guy with a gun” is the weakest argument Ive ever heard for less gun control.

When seconds count and the police are minutes away, I happen to think the “good guy with a gun” argument is a pretty good one.

Wrong! Youve been watching too many Steven Seagal movies. This isnt Hollywood where some guy takes down a terrorist with his little concealed carry pistol he’s hiding in his sock. How many times do you think they actually save someones life compared to how many people have been killed?

Many times EVERY DAY. You better research that. But the media won’t tell us about those instances because then liberals like yourself will yet again lose an argument.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Lol, youre completely clueless, yeah, I bet more concealed carry heros kill more criminals every year than the amount of people that die from gun violence. Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard on here.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Lol, youre completely clueless, yeah, I bet more concealed carry heros kill more criminals every year than the amount of people that die from gun violence. Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard on here.

You are projecting made up equivalents and then attacking that. This is what a 12 year old does.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Trump announced today that he is in favor of “Extreme Vetting” for anyone looking to purchase a weapon. Uh-oh, this should put a huge dent in the Republicans plan to make it even easier for mentally deranged people to obtain assault rifles with 100 round clips.

Is extreme vetting even necessary? A good start would be that if you are a convicted felon you shouldnt be able to obtain assault rifles legally. Maybe its a good idea to send this information over from the Air Force to law enforcement.

“Sir, do you have any felonies that would prevent you from owning a weapon? Just check the “yes/no” box on this form. Oh, I see you checked no, perfect!! Now that weve thoroughly investigated that which assault rifle and how much ammunition do you need? Body armor, weve got that also”.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Trump announced today that he is in favor of “Extreme Vetting” for anyone looking to purchase a weapon. Uh-oh, this should put a huge dent in the Republicans plan to make it even easier for mentally deranged people to obtain assault rifles with 100 round clips.

Is extreme vetting even necessary? A good start would be that if you are a convicted felon you shouldnt be able to obtain assault rifles legally. Maybe its a good idea to send this information over from the Air Force to law enforcement.

“Sir, do you have any felonies that would prevent you from owning a weapon? Just check the “yes/no” box on this form. Oh, I see you checked no, perfect!! Now that weve thoroughly investigated that which assault rifle and how much ammunition do you need? Body armor, weve got that also”.

Well, I am pretty positive that being a felon already makes it illegal for you to own or possess any type of firearm and as the seller of the firearm you would be responsible for selling to a felon if they were found with the firearm and could prove you were the one that sold it to them.

I am a bit confused about your Air Force comment??

Just to show how ridiculous this is getting and passing the laws to make a certain group “feel good”. Read an article yesterday that the state or Massachusetts passed a law to ban bump stocks, however you can still legally purchase a machine gun in the state. Doesn’t make much sense does it. Just shows the passed a law for political reasons and to make a certain group of people feel good.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’m not aware of any Republican who wants to sell fully automatic guns with 100 round clips to any mentally deranged person. If you believe this than your thought process and ability to reason are both in a sad state of affairs. I would encourage you to find a single Republican or Democrat currently in office who has stated anything close to what you are claiming.

The background program that is currently in place would have triggered and not allowed a sale to be made to this killer except the system is only as good as the information that is put into it. As you noted, it appears the Air Force did not release his criminal activity to the proper authorities in order for it to be placed in this database. Sounds like a major oversight on their part and it seems to be the reason the background check came back clean. It’s not the fault of the background check system and no other gun laws would have made a difference. Sometimes s*** happens and this appears to be one of those times. It sounds like this killer was very unstable with enough negative history that he should probably have not be able to own a gun without going through some mental help from a doctor. Sometimes the system doesn’t protect people and that’s why law abiding citizens are there to help. Thank goodness two good guys were in the area and willing to risk their own lives to help when the government failed.

I’m happy that we finally have a President who isn’t placing blame on the object that evil used but rather the evil itself. It’s far past time that the real problem be blamed when these things happen. Mental illness or radical religious beliefs cannot be easily fixed or legislated overnight so most politicians completely avoid the real problem and place blame where it shouldn’t be. The real problem is so difficult to fix that no one really even knows where or how to start.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Let me chime in on something. This turkey was court-martialed under UCMJ 128. Assults. Not domestic or child abuse. The problem is that not all violation under UCMJ automatically translate into a civilian equivalent. Some things do not even translate into a civil offense. How to rectify this grey area is way above my pay grade.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Pretty sad that this thread is still relavant and we’ve already had another tragedy in Texas. The world can be a evil place for sure. Rest In Peace to all the victims.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: IAMike

Pretty sad that this thread is still relavant and we�ve already had another tragedy in Texas. The world can be a evil place for sure. Rest In Peace to all the victims.

Severe vetting would not have prevented Boston, Oklahoma city or 9-11.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Pretty sad that this thread is still relavant and we�ve already had another tragedy in Texas. The world can be a evil place for sure. Rest In Peace to all the victims.

Better keep this thread on standby, the question is how long until we need to bring it up again. These nutjobs will continue to try to outdo themselves. When we have weapons floating around capable of shooting hundreds of people in a matter of minutes it will continue to be an issue. It makes it an even more pressing issue when deranged idiots with felonies can walk into a sporting goods store and purchase one legally by simply checking a box.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Better keep this thread on standby, the question is how long until we need to bring it up again. These nutjobs will continue to try to outdo themselves. When we have weapons floating around capable of shooting hundreds of people in a matter of minutes it will continue to be an issue. It makes it an even more pressing issue when deranged idiots with felonies can walk into a sporting goods store and purchase one legally by simply checking a box.

A law is in place that would’ve stopped him from buying the gun in a store, but you need to talk to the Air Force and see why that information wasn’t forwarded to the data base? You’re right there are a lot of nut jobs out there and if they don’t have a gun, they will use a truck, chemicals or whatever else they find on the internet to use to kill people. Both of the two cowards in NYC and Texas were stopped how?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Idiot or not, no 1 can purchase a gun simply by checking a box. Comments and beliefs about such are why people are wrong in how these issues are being addressed. Regardless of which box you check, your personal info is sent to the federal gov’t and they authorize the sale. The fact that a Gov’t agency hadn’t reported his past is why he was allowed to purchase the gun. NOT because of how he answered a ?????

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.