Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Not Iowa but shows whats going to happen about fishing for common carp

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bowfisher

I see PETA is back in the house….

WRONG! besides that new law doesn’t ban anything, plenty of waters there you can shoot commons, just not 300 pounds a day

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: fowl_attitude

Bow fishing is pretty popular in Iowa. That group might have as much to say about this as the carp anglers association. It’s hard to release a fish over 30 inches when it has been stuck with an arrow.

its why COs will write tickets, you just can’t shoot the big fish in certain waters, some you can shoot any size just no more than 5 per person

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I don’t see this ever happening here. Carp are an invasive species and huge amounts of time and money have been made to remove them from many of our public waters. As an example, many tons of carp have been removed from Lost Island Lake and in recent years I have finally noticed a tremendous increase in the water clarity there as a result.

I think there still are plenty of carp around for those who enjoy chasing them. I know I enjoy bowhunting for them.

Common carp have been here a very long time over 140 years, they didn’t invade we stocked them, they are naturalized.

you would be shocked on other “invasives” beloved and managed by Iowa, pheasants, brown trout are prime examples google it you might be surprised whats on the list, Bass, squirrels, rabbits,

think of this kind of like fly only c and r trout fishing, bow fishing isn’t going to be banned you just might not be able to shoot as many is some places, too much money is spend on euro carp fishing for this not to happen, iowa has some slamming big carp waters, I am sure bighead and silvers will keep bow-fishermen busy for decades to come, perhaps you will get lucky and be able to shoot walleyes and bass like Nebraska

but getting a $500 fine for shooting a fish too long would suck

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TedBugle

Quote by: speng5

Quote by: speng5

I would be highly pissed if that happened here.

When it happens here* B)

It won’t. See below:

Quote by: fowl_attitude

Bow fishing is pretty popular in Iowa. That group might have as much to say about this as the carp anglers association. It’s hard to release a fish over 30 inches when it has been stuck with an arrow.

^^^ This.

Lots of bowfisherman and some are pretty well organized. The small number of people that would support carp “regulations” is not even close to the number of bowfishmen and women in Iowa. Not even close.

where is that quote from?

Post #8 on this thread by fowl attitude.

Participant
    Up
    Down

This year, there was movement in the Iowa Legislature to allow bow hunting of catfish. In light of that, I don’t think that the current mood would be to protect carp.

stick500stick500
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: jnrbronc

This year, there was movement in the Iowa Legislature to allow bow hunting of catfish. In light of that, I don’t think that the current mood would be to protect carp.

where, when and how would anyone even get a decent shot at a nice cat in Iowa?

perhaps at night with a lit-up boat?

also, another invasive that we all seem to love (but has done lots of damage to forest floors) is the common nightcrawler!

I just found that out a few years ago- they came from Europe

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: stick500

Quote by: jnrbronc

where, when and how would anyone even get a decent shot at a nice cat in Iowa?

No idea on how a person would bowhunt cats, just noting that most of the laws being introduced seem to be relaxing hunting and fishing laws, not being on the restrictive side.

Also, there is the commercial side of netting rough fish out of Iowa waters. Doubt the state will want to lose the revenue of restricting said business.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I don’t see this ever happening here. Carp are an invasive species and huge amounts of time and money have been made to remove them from many of our public waters. As an example, many tons of carp have been removed from Lost Island Lake and in recent years I have finally noticed a tremendous increase in the water clarity there as a result.

I think there still are plenty of carp around for those who enjoy chasing them. I know I enjoy bowhunting for them.

Common carp have been here a very long time over 140 years, they didn’t invade we stocked them, they are naturalized.

you would be shocked on other “invasives” beloved and managed by Iowa, pheasants, brown trout are prime examples google it you might be surprised whats on the list, Bass, squirrels, rabbits,

think of this kind of like fly only c and r trout fishing, bow fishing isn’t going to be banned you just might not be able to shoot as many is some places, too much money is spend on euro carp fishing for this not to happen, iowa has some slamming big carp waters, I am sure bighead and silvers will keep bow-fishermen busy for decades to come, perhaps you will get lucky and be able to shoot walleyes and bass like Nebraska

but getting a $500 fine for shooting a fish too long would suck

An invasive species is anything that is not native to an ecosystem and causes harm, so it isn’t a matter of how it got there. I realize pheasants and brown trout are not be native, but their presence is not detrimental to the ecosystem. Check out this page from the Minnesota DNR which explains how detrimental carp can be to a body of water: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquaticanimals/commoncarp/index.html

Some of the impacts from carp include:

Impacts:

-Common carp are one of the most damaging aquatic invasive species due to its wide distribution and severe impacts in shallow lakes and wetlands
    -Their feeding disrupts shallowly rooted plants muddying the water
    -They release phosphorus that increases algae abundance
    -Carp induced declines in water quality causes declines of aquatic plants needed by waterfowl and fish

I am not so sure we need any kind of protection for any carp species around here. They are quite plentiful and get plenty big enough if you ask me.

Participant
    Up
    Down

OP is either a troll or has brain damage. I really hope he’s a troll. Carp are not invasive because humans brought them here? Wow! What reasoning! That’s exactly why they should all be killed.
    Those laws will never happen here in Iowa buddy, people here are too down to earth.

Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.