Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Nomadic wolves in Iowa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Winter of 71 if I recall correctly. We were hunting coyotes with hounds just West of Rhodes Iowa. Put 2 trail hounds on a hot coyote track. As we were circling the large section looking for the push. We seen those 2 hounds on the tail (literally) of a very large wolf about 1/4 mile into the section. As we scrambled to get out there in the deep drifted snow. We topped the last large hill. then were met by the 2 hounds coming our way. They caught that wolf on the other side of the hill. That is where we seen the tracks & fight scene. The fight scene had blood all over the place. Both hounds were pounded bad. The largest hound a huge black & tan. That wolf at some point. Had that hound’s whole head in it’s mouth. Skull fang puncture wounds on the top & bottom of the dog’s head. Both hounds were bit on the head, neck & shoulders. We packed the wounds with snow initially. The wolf had escaped.

Winter of 03, 2 miles straight East of Green Mountain Iowa. I was hunting with my dad, his last hunt. When I seen coming down a draw not quite a 1/4 mile out. A large cream colored wolf. That wolf seen us about the same time. Then cut back East & headed due South towards the thousand acre timber north of LeGrand.

3rd wolf I seen around midnight not to many Winters ago. Maybe 15yrs or so. As my wife & I rounded a 90 degree sharp turn. A few miles south of Marshalltown. I seen a dusky black wolf, drop into the R-hand road ditch. I stopped & aimed my headlights on it. It was maybe 50-60′ away. The wolf came up out of the ditch. Then paused & looked at us. Wolf paused broadside in a spread in the barbed fence. It was following a hard pack beat down deer trail.

Over the yrs I have seen a few other large canines. Which may have been lone wolves? But they were just far away enough. I couldn’t confirm to myself. An old predator hunting friend. Told me around 10yrs ago or so. He was fishing the pond out on East Main St. Out near the old power plant, Marshallown one day. As he was fishing the small pond surrounded by saplings & willows. He happened to look across the pond. There stood a pair of grey wolves staring at him. He said both were quite large. They quickly disappeared.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by coydog.
    tchansler
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I’d believe it. Iowa has so many other animals that technically aren’t “residents” but show up now and again from other states. We saw the whole bear fiasco in Tama earlier this year…

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’d believe it. Iowa has so many other animals that technically aren’t “residents” but show up now and again from other states. We saw the whole bear fiasco in Tama earlier this year…

I took a few pics of a Tama County black Bear 2 yrs ago. Bear was 2 miles due South of Union Lake.

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

While I’m sure there may be sightings of rogue wolves from time to time, I’m sure it is extremely rare. This would be a long way from their native habitat. More than likely, it could be a feral dog or wolf mix. I would be fascinated in pictures and other stories!

coydog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

While I’m sure there may be sightings of rogue wolves from time to time, I’m sure it is extremely rare. This would be a long way from their native habitat. More than likely, it could be a feral dog or wolf mix. I would be fascinated in pictures and other stories!

No doubt rare.

Fortunately I drive thousands of miles of gravel roads each yr(Fall-Spring). So my odds are better than most. Over the last dozen yrs or so. I now have my camera along. For such a rare sighting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.