Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting New Year’s resolution hunt more coyotes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It’s -22 here in Northwest Wyoming so I will wait a little to start my new Year’s resolution but hopefully I can have some luck on coyotes.

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Woot woot!  I’m with you whip!  Be sure to post plenty of pics. ☺

I’m looking forward to having two good knees again, have some new ground to call, and a lead on a couple more farms. The year has great potential.

It’s warmer here, our weather station says 13, wind chill of 3.  I’m thinking of heading out later for a new years squirrel hunt.  No matter how cold the tree rats appear to be out moving.  Then maybe call a spot for bobcat and coyote.  I’ve been bitten by the cabin fever bug!

Participant

Scruffy, to me you and rook are the resident coyote experts but i have not see Whiterook on here in a while.  I have a question for you.. I have a piece of ground i can hunt and the yotes have not really been hunted, what calling sequence would you start with?  I am still pretty new to Yote hunting so any advice would be most welcomed.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Whiterook goes by the screen name coydog, since the site relaunched.

I normally start with cottontail distress as the opener.  Sometimes I’ll toss a changeup at the beginning like kitten distress, but for the most part in January I still start with a series or two of cottontail distress.  Then around the 15 minute mark if nothing has showed I’m inclined to let out two to four non aggressive lonely sounding howls with a series of distress a minute or two after the howls.  (maybe a raspy cottontail, jack rabbit, maybe fawn, something different than has been player or blown earlier).  I usually do a couple distress series after the howls (like maybe jack and rodent, or raspy cottontail and bird, etc).  Then to end the stand I might do pup distress or if I’m deep into a section (some large sections I’ll call my way into it) I’ll end the stand with female or young coyote challenge howls for a minute or so.  The thought being that deep into the section I’m more likely to be deep into the mated pairs territory and they are more likely to respond if nothing else has worked.  If I’m shallow in the section (say the outside 1/4 mile), where the transients often hang out, aggressive howls won’t usually attract the transients and the local pair may not feel threatened with a coyote challenging out on the “fringe”.  There’s exceptions to every rule, I had a coyote a few years ago that was hung up, wouldn’t commit, would keep giving me glimpses but not offering a shot.  Once I sent female challenge in her direction she busted out of cover and I rifled her at 75 yards in the middle of a clearing, so you just never know.  But she’s I think 1 of 2 coyotes I’ve shot with challenges when calling shallow into a section.  Most of the aggressive calling has worked for me when I was 1/2 mile in or more.

On windy days I’ve let out a few howls, waiting a minute, and then let out some more howls but a different sounding coyote, either using mixing a hand howler and ecaller, two different ecaller howls, or two different hand howlers.  The howls cut the wind much better than a distress and the more howls help the coyotes locate the sound better in the wind.  As they approach they may just come to try and long range see the coyote or coyotes they heard howling, but when they hear the series of distress after the howls that hopefully seals the deal and they do more than a long range peak and come in to offer a shot.

Good luck.  Just because the coyotes haven’t been called on the farm you’re calling doesn’t mean they aren’t called on the farms or sections around there.  When I started calling coyotes over 20 years ago there weren’t many people calling.  Then around 8-10 years ago when I asked for permission and asked the neighbors of people giving me permission (in the hopes to gain more permission for different winds, etc) I found that there was at least one other farm in each of the sections I called that had another farm that was being called.  Anymore pretty much every door I knock on I hear they already have a coyote caller on it and I can’t call, or they have another coyote caller on it and I can also call it.  Some of the farms I’ve called for 20 years, and I was the only caller on it when I started, they now have another person (or persons) with permission to call it also now.  One of those farms I call the farmer every time I plan to head over, so he knows I’m coming, and also to ask where the other caller has been parking (what side of the farm), if he knows where he’s been calling like over a food plot, certain field or pasture, etc.

Your area might be different, but you might find that coyotes you think haven’t been called much actually have been somewhere else, and thus are slower to come in, which is the biggest change I’ve noted over the last 20 years.  “Back in the good ol days” most of my coyotes were called in the first 10-15 minutes.  Now most show up after 20 minutes, and before 45 minutes.  I’ve only had a few show up after 45 minutes and I normally call and hour, sometimes I call it after 45 minutes, just depends on the weather and such.  I normally have small pockets of time to call, so call single stands on any given day.  I only have a couple days a year where I take the day and call all day.  So doing 45 minutes or 60 minutes on my one stand of the day isn’t a big deal.  On a full days hunt I might do all 45 minute stands since 15 minutes over the day would equal the difference in one more stand being made with 45 minute stands verses 60 minutes.

Anyway, rambling, good luck and post pictures!  🙂

Participant

Sick’em! Whip

Participant

Scruffy, to me you and rook are the resident coyote experts but i have not see Whiterook on here in a while. I have a question for you.. I have a piece of ground i can hunt and the yotes have not really been hunted, what calling sequence would you start with? I am still pretty new to Yote hunting so any advice would be most welcomed.

I’m not an “expert” at anything, nice thought though..Would be nice if I were 🙂  I call myself experienced. Because I have spent since 1964, observing & learning wild canine behaviors. Forever learning

Participant

Thanks for that info Scruffy. I am definitely a rookie and perty much a weekend warrior and any info helps!?? Tried a few sets Tuesday and nothing showed. There was about 3-4 pickups circling over and over th section we were in looking for coyotes I was told. Kinda annoying th way they hung around but whatever.

Participant

Thanks Scruffy, for the great info!  I will take it and try it out.  The area i am hunting is near Wickup out side Cedar Rapids.  I am sure the area around it is probley hunted but I know these yotes are pretty green, I see them often bow hunting and actually had 4 follow me along a fence line when I was walking across the cow pasture to my deer stand.  No further then 60 yards away.. i could see them with my red light and they were not the least bit afraid.  Infact I was a little nervous cause there was at least 4 and maybe more I could not see.  They are very vocal and the owner of the farm has cows and calves so he would like for me to kill some of them.  If i can.  I have had issues in the past hunting cow pastures with cows that they come to the rabbit distress call.  I have no idea why cows come to it but they seem to always screw up the hunt.  hopefully they will be in the other pasture and i can get set up clean and quiet without their hassle.     Rook!  Glad your still kickin!  I had talked to you quite a while ago about maybe getting together to hunt, just never panned out.  Might need to get you and Scruff and have you show me the ropes on killing these dang song dogs!  haha!  its amazing how many i see bow hunting but they are slick and hard to get a shot on with the bow.  anyways.  Ill let you all know what happens when i get out there to hunt.  Will probley wait until we get some snow.  Using an older foxpro and a twerlly coon tail.  I also use an old coon skin cap to put over the speaker so it just helps look like something edible.  Thanks again for the advise!

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

On the calling cows, or rather not calling cows, that shorter series of rabbit distress doesn’t call as many cows, like maybe holding the series to 20 seconds, maybe even less, about the time it would take to blow 4 to 8 “wahs” on a handcall, When I’ve used continuous calling I’ve had a lot more issues with cows coming in…  I think it takes them a bit to decide to come in (cows are cows, most are slow to respond…), and if the sound stops before they decide to come in, they stay put.

I’ve also noticed that I can’t hardly ever use fawn distress around cows and not have a problem, no matter what the series length…  it sounds too much like a calf bawl, that they have to check it out…  And some jack rabbit sounds cross into that category also.  But high pitch, especially “baby” cottontail, when played in short bursts, can often stay under the cows radar.

And some days it doesn’t matter what you do, the cows will mess it up…  and groups of cows have their own personality.  One farmer I hunt on has two groups.  I can walk in, call, walk out, around one of the groups on the north side of the farm without them hardly even lifting a head to look at me (Herefords).  The group on the south side of the farm always come running to meet me when I walk in, then run away, then follow, then charge towards, run away… all on the way to setup to call.  I can’t call where they can get to me because they always act all spooky and come to the call…  Then walking out they normally leave me alone, but sometimes they still will run over, check me out, run away, follow, run up, run away….  That farm has the best group of cows and the worst group of cows I’ve ever called around….

Anyway, good luck!!!

WhipWhip
    Participant

Went below my house and called this afternoon.  We have a Christmas party tonight and wife warned me to be on time. Not  the best time to call but if you don’t try you won’t get anything. I was hoping for a fox  or a  coyote but saw neither. Notice crows drifting around so I went back to the house grabbed my shotgun and a box of 7 1/2s . I shot 7 crows in an hour. Not a super crow shoot but it beat helping to clean the house. Going to try a spot near my house in the morning maybe I will connect.

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Sounds like a winner to me also, I’d exchange shooting crows for cleaning house any day of the week!  😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.