Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I spend a lot of time on this site for years, even after I moved from Iowa it was still a place I visited daily. After the long outage it seems to have never bounced back to an active forum. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to revive it?

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Personally, I think its a 2 fold problem. 1st, ban about 3 or 4 people on here that keep talking smack. 2nd, they are still working out the bugs and I am not sure they have really publisized its new and improved platform yet. But the biggest issue carriers over from the old version, and that is there are members that need to be permanently banned.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Ban

Personally, I think its a 2 fold problem. 1st, ban about 3 or 4 people on here that keep talking smack. 2nd, they are still working out the bugs and I am not sure they have really publisized its new and improved platform yet. But the biggest issue carriers over from the old version, and that is there are members that need to be permanently banned.

If it weren’t for a few people that you want banned this site wouldn’t have any traffic at all. As for working out the bugs, it’s been nearly a year since the site went online. The biggest issue is apathy and excuses from those part of the good ol boy club that refuses to see and step into the real world.

It took too WAY long to make the transition, there are way too many technical issues, moderators didn’t/don’t want input from users, posts get deleted when they don’t praise the site and the few members that think they are most important, etc. And there is still foreign spam almost every day. In basic terms, this site tanked because of poor business and marketing practices and the inability to listen to their “customers” and accept and address their concerns. The same reason every business struggles.

If this site want to grow and succeed, it has to listen to members and be willing to do things they want. You can’t keep kicking the can down the road and doing the same thing over and over and saying the same thing over and over and magically expect things to get better. Fix the issue, go to a trade/gun/sports show and sell the new site. Then you get the traffic then you sell the advertising and generate the revenue. It’s simple, but you have to be willing to put your ego and personal desires aside in favor for customer wants and needs.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

It did take to long to bring the site back, that is probably the number one reason.

i actually like the new platform though. The homepage is better and provides articles I like to read. The forums platform are actually better I think.Plus from a smart phone it is way way better than it used to be.  Perhaps a better organization or reorganization of the forums would make it easier to view all the forums.

biggest thing for the forums side of things is figured out how to get people to start posting. Not sure how to fix that other than promote and market.  Okay my two cents are spent…I will keep on viewing  the site and posting when I can. Hope to see more of you all do the same.

Blocked

Ban

If it weren’t for a few people that you want banned this site wouldn’t have any traffic at all. As for working out the bugs, it’s been nearly a year since the site went online. The biggest issue is apathy and excuses from those part of the good ol boy club that refuses to see and step into the real world. It took too WAY long to make the transition, there are way too many technical issues, moderators didn’t/don’t want input from users, posts get deleted when they don’t praise the site and the few members that think they are most important, etc. And there is still foreign spam almost every day. In basic terms, this site tanked because of poor business and marketing practices and the inability to listen to their “customers” and accept and address their concerns. The same reason every business struggles. If this site want to grow and succeed, it has to listen to members and be willing to do things they want. You can’t keep kicking the can down the road and doing the same thing over and over and saying the same thing over and over and magically expect things to get better. Fix the issue, go to a trade/gun/sports show and sell the new site. Then you get the traffic then you sell the advertising and generate the revenue. It’s simple, but you have to be willing to put your ego and personal desires aside in favor for customer wants and needs.

EXACTLY!!!!

What date did the old website go offline???? FOR THE THIRD TIME

You go Missouri Medicdano!   You can make it better!

“still working out the bugs and I am not sure they have really publicized its new and improved platform yet”  WHAT!?!?

“there are members that need to be permanently banned”  you are right ban everybody that does not align with your views or beliefs that way you will be the only one on your forum remember when your are pointing the finger Daniel there are 4 more pointing back at you!  I do not care for your views or anything you have for input BUT……BUT….. I have never called you a drunk or an alcoholic nor have I EVER recommended that you be banned!!!  Kettle is black!!!!!!!!!!!!!

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Well that was a pretty successful fishing trip ??

For a free site that no members pay for I think its fine. Many, many people have left due to the antics of a few. Im sure Patrick would take suggestions. But when somebody is told what to do to “make it better” in a condescending manner then why should they listen? Why should IS spend a bunch of money on marketing something where people are constantly negative? You can be part of the problem or part of the solution.

As far as being the kettle, maybe. But Im standing up and defending others being harrassed and insulted. Have a good day.

Participant

It did take to long to bring the site back, that is probably the number one reason. i actually like the new platform though. The homepage is better and provides articles I like to read. The forums platform are actually better I think.Plus from a smart phone it is way way better than it used to be. Perhaps a better organization or reorganization of the forums would make it easier to view all the forums. biggest thing for the forums side of things is figured out how to get people to start posting. Not sure how to fix that other than promote and market. Okay my two cents are spent…I will keep on viewing the site and posting when I can. Hope to see more of you all do the same.

The old forum was easier to use from my smart phone.  This new site has greatly reduced the spam.

Participant

Mostly not sure I like the new site.  was slow to load, which seems to have been fixed.  As to the people who post here, about as varied as you can see.

Have not accessed it with my phone as that seems to be a route of disappointment.

Participant

i really only participated in the fishing forums here but it was clear the last 2 years or so, that even before the site made its change, that traffic had slowed waaaayy down.   the inexplicable long period of outage due to the switchover was just the death nail.

The reasons are plentiful.  the long outage being a main one.  social media is the other one.  most forums are dying.

Quite frankly, I think IS knows this.  they aren’t going to try and revive a medium that is on the way out.   They’ll provide it because people will still use it but its not a main concern.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.