New shotgun for waterfowl? Which one?2019-07-24T11:54:09-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms New shotgun for waterfowl? Which one?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have decided to buy a new semi auto shotgun to hunt waterfowl with this year. I have several shotguns but its time for me to buy a new one. I have tried my sons Super Black Eagle II and just don’t care for the overall feel of the gun. Its ok and maybe with some trap practice it would work. I bought my son in law a Beretta A300 and liked it better than the Super Black Eagle II.  I shot a Remington 1100 for years that I bought back in the early 1970s. Shot it so much I wore out the trigger sear and it started to double on me. It was a 2 3/4 gun only and now with steel required I do shoot the 3 inch shells. So I rarely use it on ducks since having it repaired. Even though I shoot it well somehow over the last 40 years it has gotten  heavier and isn’t my first choice for upland birds either.  Once again I tried some 3 1/2 inch shells in the sons SBE II but I really don’t need the extra range. I shoot my ducks close over decoys. So a gun capable of handling  2 3/4 or 3 inch shells works great. What are my options and what shotguns do you guys think are worth looking at?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Whip Whip.

Whip

Participant

Whip, I cant give you any info on any new shotguns because I still shoot a Remington 1100 I bought in 1972 when I got out of the service. And yes it has gotten a little heavier over the years but I still love the way it shots.

Participant

Whip, I cant give you any info on any new shotguns because I still shoot a Remington 1100 I bought in 1972 when I got out of the service. And yes it has gotten a little heavier over the years but I still love the way it shots.

Never did much duck/goose hunting except for jumping them over pond/river banks, but I shot a lot of pheasants in the 70’s with a Remington 870 Wingmaster which I still have after buying it in 1971, which is still the best fitting gun I own and yes it has gotten heavier over the years also.  Been thinking about a semi auto, but an all round one, it will be interesting to see which you pick.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

I have shot autos and O/Us for the last 60 years starting with a Rem Model 11. Pretty much shot every make and model. Last one was a Winchester SX2 3.5″. this this season going back to a O/U, seems they are more reliable when super cold and wet.

Participant

I have been pretty pleased with my Versamax

WhipWhip
    Participant

<!–more–>I see that Cabela’s is having a fall hunting sale with some discount’s on several semi auto shotguns. I saw a $150 Remington discount with a rebate on the versamax. <!–more–>i will have to check it out.

Whip

3.5 tens3.5 tens
    Participant

I am late to this thread, what did you choose Whip? I bought a Browning A5 (the newest version) and I gotta say for the light weight I wasn’t worried about my repaired shoulders carrying after I shot a few rounds…light recoil and even goose season I launched a few 3.5’s and did not notice the hard kicking as you would think with the light weight of the gun

my two cents

"I have always had a soft spot in my heart for marshes. They challenge me to come and look. Their capacity for mothering wild life is far greater than the drier uplands, no matter how beautiful they may be. It seems to me that no man is closer to the beginning of things and the eternal motherhood of the outdoors than when he is familiar with a marsh."

WhipWhip
    Participant

I’m still in the looking mode. I want to put hands on them before making a decision. I live 220 miles from Cabela’s and waiting to make a shopping trip with my wife. Plan to check out Beretta A300 and 400, also versa max, and Browning.

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

have you thought about a 20 gauge???  The reason I ask is because I’m going through a similar struggle with upland guns….  I have a few 12’s, but most are too heavy, have a right handed safety, something…. Then i have this browning 20 gauge that fits me perfect and I shoot really good.  It’s very light to carry and quick on target.  I think I shoot it about as good as I do any of my 12’s and better than some of them.  but I’ve never carried it bird hunting…  I struggle with the potency of a 20, but heck, guys do it all the time and many swear by smaller tubes.

and hunting over decoys as you said, with closer shots, heck, a 20 gauge, a semi auto to boot, might be the cat’s meow for soft recoil (which equals funner and faster shooting in my book) and easy toting.

Just thinking out loud.  😉

WhipWhip
    Participant

Scuffy, I bought a brand new Remington 1100 light 20 in 1978 before I got married. It’s a 2 3/4s model and I had it retro fitted with choke tubes in 1986. It fits me well and I often take it  chuckar and hun hunting. I’m afraid to put steel through the choke tubes and have considered replacing the barrel.  I might have to do that and try it duck hunting. I also have a sweet little 20 guage L C Smith double that is super light but kicks hard for a 20. Have to put a slip on recoil pad to make it fit me. I used it on ducks in the eighties a few times when lead was legal. Afraid to put steel in it but still use it once or twice a year.

Whip

Participant

Take a look at the Girsan MC312

If you want the inertia drive at a fraction of the price then check it out!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!