Home Forums Hunting Dog Training New pup, need a good chew toy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We just got ourselves a new lab pup and we’re looking for some options to keep him busy during the day while we work. We both work at home, but if we’re both on conference calls, we can’t keep an eye on him 100% of the time. I know Kongs are pretty good when frozen and filled with kibble, but I’m worried about overusing it and letting him get bored with it. We had a Nylabone puppy starter kit, which had an edible portion, a teething one and a harder chew bone. Last night he snapped off a chunk of the edible one, much sooner than I thought. Not sure how damaging it is to his young teeth, I’m putting those up for now. He’s manageable when we’re watching him, but without any supervision, he’ll obviously get into things. He’s only 8 weeks old. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Participant

I would put him in his crate for periods of the day that he cannot be monitored.

WidowmakerWidowmaker
    Participant

A jolly ball (actually we’re up to 3 of them now) saved our sanity with our Chessie pup

Participant

I see a lot of guys letting them chew on antlers, good or bad I don’t know

Participant

Quote by: LONESUMGUS

I see a lot of guys letting them chew on antlers, good or bad I don’t know

This is what we use. Asgrow is right too…..crate training with pups is key. When they aren’t in the crate it is important to have an acceptable chew toy with you at all times so when the pup starts chewing on something he/she isn’t suppose to you can immediately say no and replace with the acceptable chew toy. I’ve done this with all of my dogs and they never chew on anything but their acceptable bones/toys.

Participant

We have just got our lab pup thru the first year without a chewing episode. That makes 5 labs with one or two minor episodes in all. One thing that helps is never having just one. But the biggest thing is, them having “good dog” toys, rather than shoes and your house. We bombard a puppy with toys that are his {2 dozen minimum}, and remind him the things that are not. We discovered Firehose toys with this last pup. They are great till about 9 months, they start parting them out. Then it’s time to retire them. Kongs, heavy duty balls,nylabones anything they can’t get pieces off of. We also disable all squeakers, besides being obnoxious they make them more hyper and hard mouthed if you intend to hunt with them. Chewing is usually a boredom thing. So when you can’t keep them busy, keep them created near you. It will keep them company and create a bond. But get them also use to alone time. Good luck enjoy the new pup, lotta work lotta fun.

Participant

Other help to get them exercise, but contained is an X-pen. I set one up in the kitchen on a 4×8 plastic panel with the create in it. Let him play with just his toys. And a water bowl to play in, not by design.

Participant

I am another vote for the antler. Our lab has loved antlers since he was a pup.

Participant

Thanks all! We’ve started on crate training him and it’s working pretty well so far. Since we’re working from home, we’re trying to get him used to being able to be around us without interfering with our day. We have a Kong and several heavier duty toys that don’t break apart. He’s in a pen when he gets too rambunctious in the house, or a kennel when we can’t watch him.

Participant

A FWIW. A great water bowl for bigger pups is the crock insert out of a crock pot. Heavy and hard to tip. For my big dog her indoor water sits in a galvanized chick feeder. Cuts the dog drool considerable. Agree with the above on containment, crates teach the boundaries. If you don’t want them on furniture, don’t play with them there. A favorite of several of my pups was an old sweatsock with a knot in it. Had a westie than never needed a tooth cleaning due to her playing and chewing on sock toys. Plus you can throw in the house. :mrgreen:

WhipWhip
    Participant

Well my past experience would indicate they love to chew garden hoses, siding, saddles, boots and rope horse halters!!!!! 🙄 However I will also vote for the shed antlers and occasionally I would give them a big bone from the butcher.

Whip

Participant

Quote by: Whip

Well my past experience would indicate they love to chew garden hoses, siding, saddles, boots and rope horse halters!!!!! 🙄 However I will also vote for the shed antlers and occasionally I would give them a big bone from the butcher.

AND electric cords. Had a basset hound chew up the cord of a deep freeze. Chest type. We didn’t notice for several days. 😯

Participant

My dogs will kill a kong in no time but some of the better nyla bones last quite some time.

I work from home too and suggest crate training. My three older dogs get free reign of the downstairs when I am working (upstairs) but the youngest is still in the crate if I plan to be on a call or otherwise not paying attention to her. I have had dogs grow out of that phase as young as 6 months but more often 1-2 years. Current youngest just turned 3 but about 1/20 times left alone will destroy something so still use the crate.

quailslayerquailslayer
    Participant

My pup has a couple of small shed antlers. You can grind down the tips if you think they are too pointy, plus they hurt like no other if you step on one in the middle of the night! I have a couple of kong toys . Then again my pup chews on what ever he gets a hold of, if he didn’t have a crate I would have skinned furniture 😯

Participant

Just my two-cents, feel free to take it or leave it. My other half is a vet and she strongly suggests no antlers, unless you want broken or cracked teeth. Once I listened, went to other toys and no more tooth problems. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.