Home Forums Hunting Dog Training New dog and many questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Guys,

After hunting grouse and pheasant over my Brittany for 12 years we finally had to put him down this spring. I had been considering putting off adding another bird dog for a bit, but I decided that I am going to get another pup. An English Setter this time. Below are some questions I am considering.

1. Get one that is born October and would come home in December or a spring pup. This is what the trainer I will use recommended as he will be ready for real training by early spring and about a year old. He also said house training is easier in the winter. Or get a spring pup which in my past experience was easier for house training and socialization.
    2. A training collar. I liked my old tritronics G3, nothing special but worked great. I replaced with with a Garmin delta which was total garbage. I was going to switch to dogtra, the one with the beeper and trainer, but the garmin alpha with the GPS has some appeal as well. I hunt in northern MN and WI a lot and a lost dog worries me with the wolf population there. It is a bunch more money, but on the other hand I look at a training color as a 10 year investment and it is is top quality and works well the extra $ for the GPS might be worth it.
    3. I want to raise birds to train with, however my training ground is a mile or so from my house, I dont think call back quail will return that far after being released. Would homing pigeons be a more effective option?
    Participant

Have you thought about a membership to a game farm? For the cost of your own set up you can train your dog and have some meat in the freezer.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked
    1. I always prefer a dog that’s ready to go in early spring. Conditions are better for obedience training and the dog will be ready for a test run the very first hunting season. This will help evaluate what you will need to work on when the real training starts. You also don’t have to worry about potty training in snow.
    2. I have several friends that use the Alpha and Astro and all have had positive experiences with them and prefer them over the Dogtra Pathfinder set-up. That said, if you don’t need the GPS, the Dogtra 2500 T&B is hard to beat.
    3. Homers are definitely the way to go. Easier to maintain, cheaper and definitely better on returning to their “home”. As was mentioned, a training club is an invaluable resource.
    4. Good choice on a Setter.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

I would agree with last post we got a V in December my son home from college got his GSP beginning June….spring easier no need to bundle up to take out. Homers are the way! Pigeons are much more durable than quail and small loft is easy to set up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.