Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing New Bowfishing Reel What to Buy?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I picked up a 16 foot boat with a 115 Johnson jet foot and was at the lake for an initial run and observed lots of carp. So I decided to give bowfishing a try but after looking at my old bow fishing rig I need some upgrades. I have a good Bear Grizzly recurve but need a new reel and maybe an arrow what do you suggest?

Whip

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

If you are pretty much a beginner, bite the bullet and purchase an AMS Retriever Reel. They are easy to use and you will not lose arrows. Spinning reels are normally cheaper but I am here to tell you, even the most seasoned veterans of the sport lose arrows by forgetting to push the button. AMS reels are just flat out dependable and pretty hard to beat. It will pay for itself by the number of arrows you keep.

stick500stick500
    Participant

I second the AMS. I used to have all sorts of accidents with the really cheap ($10) hand wind reel I started with and then switched to the AMS. Have never had a tangle or misfire and that was at least 4 years ago. Those AMS things don’t even get tangled or dirty in their little bottle, either. Incredible invention. I always handline my carp in. Read somewhere that over time you can wear out the wheel in the AMS over time if you use it to reel them in. Don’t know if that’s true or not but mine still works great.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by stick500 stick500.
    Participant

Just bought thre AMS Pro Receiver for myself and my wife. New to bowfishing and I mounted the Tidal Wave arrow rest, the jug holding the orange line and then watched the video on how the tie the line to the arrows. Easy as pie. Now I just want to go out and shoot a fish.  Hope this Memorial Day weekend will be bonanza time.  Bought new crossbow (Ravin) so I did not want to trash my Jennings and now will use for bowfishing. Need to get Carp for the smoker.

Nothing better than smoked carp, cream cheese on crackers.  YUmmy.,

I SECOND THE AMS; CUZ IT AMERICAN MADE IN WISCONSIN AND WE NEED MORE COMPANIES MAKING STUFF HERE IN THE USA.  Robbie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.