Home Forums Hunting Firearms New .25-06? What make/model?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Earlier I asked about this caliber vs the .243, I’m leaning this way and now and still looking for good used options. But, I’m also scoping out the new market since some of those aren’t far off used prices.

Tikka T3 Lite? More felt recoil due to light-weight, but I like the gun itself and price. If I could find the Varmint version it would be hard to beat I think.

Rem. 700?

Savage Model ??? with accu-trigger.

New Tikka T3x since the T3’s aren’t technically in production anymore? So far it looks like the varmint version of the X isn’t out yet in .25-06.

I’m thinking somewhere in the $500 to $800 for the gun alone, hopefully keeping the gun/scope combo under $1k.

Participant

I have the savage with the accu trigger. Shoots tight groups with my reloads

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Cyclone, I wish you well and hope you continue to post the experiences of your search, as I am very interested in getting a 25-06.
    I am sure there are some used gems out there, but I’d be leary about buying used unless I had a chance to shoot a group or at least the seller had some test target groupings at 200+ yds. When it comes to used guns, I’m always a bit suspicious why people are selling them, especially a rifle that I want to be able to hit a 10″ target with at 300 – 400 yards.

Participant

I have both a 243 in a heavy barrel and a 25-06 sender. The sender shoots anything under 100gr bullets very well. My brother has a tikka all weather whitetail in 25-06 and his only likes 100-115gr bullets. He keeps trying to get me to give him my sender but I won’t. I would take a look at a look at the Remington long range or the sender SF 2. The long range is basically the same gun that I have but it has a B&C stock on it and the SF 2 has a fluted stainless barrel. The groups that I have shot with my sender and either 75 or 85gr bullets are fantastic. It drops coyotes with authority. But can make a big mess out of them too.

Participant

I’ve always been interested in the 25-06 and have done lots of research on it. My problem is I already have a .243 and a .270, so to me the 25-06 doesn’t fill any void that justifies the purchase. One thing to consider regardless of which model/make you decide on is this. The 25-06 really benefits from a longer barrel and many consider 24″ to be the minimum, especially if you intend to shoot beyond 300 yards. Inside of 300 you probably wouldn’t notice much difference. I was considering a Weatherby Vanguard for the combination of barrel length, accuracy guarantee, and price at around $500. Sounded like a decent deal to me.

Participant

I’ve read about the longer barrel benefits. Varmint tikka is longer than the standard.

I do like the looks of the 700 long range. Any other votes?

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

how much walking are you going to do? Recoil you feel at the range, you feel a heavy barrel the longer the walk on the hunt goes.

If you’re going to be doing much walking, i’d get a light accurate rifle (like the t3 lite). cold barrel accuracy from a lite barrel and heavy barrel isn’t much different. And there isn’t enough difference in energy from 4″ or whatever more barrel length that a critter will notice the difference.

But if you’re walking, you will certainly notice the difference between a lite gun and heavy gun. :mrgreen: Been there, done that… 😳

Participant

I don’t plan on a ton of walking and I’m still in my 20’s so I’m dumb enough to not care about carrying a heavy one yet.

Good point about a single cold shot. I was thinking felt recoil at the range between barrel weights. Or follow up shots I guess but hopefully there aren’t many of those needed.

Participant

I replied to your earlier thread, and the .25 I bought was a NIB factory Savage 110 with medium barrel and composite stock. I mounted a Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40, and I had a Harris medium height bipod. From a bench with the bipod I was able to easily shoot MOA and sub MOA at 100 yards with factory Winchester varmint loads. I believe they were the 75 grain ones with the weird inverted point. I shot a few coyotes with that load, and it anchored them where they stood but was pretty tough on the fur. I shot one lengthwise that was running to me at around 75 yards, and the round went end for end, destroying vitals, guts, and its left rear hindquarter on the way out. He felt no pain. This gun did not have the accutrigger as it was more than 10 years ago, but I recall the trigger being crisp breaking and predictable.

If I was buying new, I would take a hard look at the Savage 11/111 TROPHY HUNTER XP with the Nikon 3x9x40 BDC.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXP

That is a lot of rifle for $629.

Participant

Quote by: scruffy

how much walking are you going to do? Recoil you feel at the range, you feel a heavy barrel the longer the walk on the hunt goes.

If you’re going to be doing much walking, i’d get a light accurate rifle (like the t3 lite). cold barrel accuracy from a lite barrel and heavy barrel isn’t much different. And there isn’t enough difference in energy from 4″ or whatever more barrel length that a critter will notice the difference.

But if you’re walking, you will certainly notice the difference between a lite gun and heavy gun. :mrgreen: Been there, done that… 😳

I tend to agree with Scruffy here. A long or heavy barreled rifle makes for a tough walk in and out. For the ranges you might expect to shoot here in Iowa I don’t think you will lose much, if anything, with a 22″ barrel. I was recently at Scheels and they are having a sale on their Tikka T3 Lite models in order to clear them out and make room for the new T3x Lite.

Participant

I was recently at Scheels and they are having a sale on their Tikka T3 Lite models in order to clear them out and make room for the new T3x Lite.

Hmmmmm. I have gift cards to Scheels from Christmas. Maybe I do need a new rifle. LOL

Participant

For me, calling rifle= light weight. Not only for carrying, but also for getting on target in the strange positions that happen while calling.

Participant

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

For me, calling rifle= light weight. Not only for carrying, but also for getting on target in the strange positions that happen while calling.

Damn, I was liking the Rem 700 long range. (heavy 26″ barrel)

It’ll probably end up being a Tikka T3 or T3x Lite if I want shorter barrel and lightweight. Otherwise probably the 700 LR for heavy, longer barrel. Thanks for everyone’s input so far.

Participant

Weatherby weatherguard.

Participant

Cy30 I don’t know what part of the state you are in but if you want to see a 700 Long range and hold it. Brownells has one in their retail show room.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.