Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Need knife advice

Viewing 18 posts - 21 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I carry a Gerber suspension in my pocket. At first it was heavy but after a while I didn’t even notice it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

My EDC is usually my trusty Gerber fast draw. I have nicer, more expensive knives but this one gets the nod 90% of the time because I tend to be hard on them as well and I don’t want to beat up my “good” knives. 😀 Between $30-$40 and well worth it IMO. I’ve had mine for almost 7 years now.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion model.May be a little small,maybe a two inch blade.Don’t remember what I paid.

Participant
    Up
    Down

spyderco delica is the perfect size for being in your pocket all the time.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: revup

After much searching, I ended up with a Cold Steel Recon 1

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/RECON.20_1.20_SERIES/RECON_1_SERIES.aspx

I went with the 4″ blade cause it was the biggest I could fit in my pocket comfortably.
    The handle is thin, but tuff as nails.
    The AUS8A steel holds up to some beatings, and retains an edge, while still being able to sharpen nicely.
    The locking mechanism also has the capability to hold 200 lbs…..so it’s gonna take a lot for that thing to accidently close.
    You can find them on amazon in the $70 range.

Check out this torture test

Here is a pic i took of mine in the Texas Hill Country

Also look at benchmade.
    They have some AWESOME knifes in the $100 range.

I like the location of the clip on that knife. They seem to carry better for me with the clip anchored near the end.
    I have a 3.5″ Kershaw, Black horse I think. Very impressed with the blade, but to chunky for pocket carry.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I would recommend a Benchmade D-2 Griptillian.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve had a Benchmade Barrage for…hmmm well I guess I bought it last year right after the 2nd Amendment rally in Des Moines. Stopped by Scheel’s and saw the salesman open this sucker once and was sold immediately.

Have carried it nearly every day since. Sometimes I switch it up a little for work or similar.

Keeps an edge very very well, and wicked sharp. I’ve sent it back to Benchmade once for the “Lifesharp” service and had it back razor sharp and even smoother in 11 days from when I sent it out. I was very happy with that. My Buck Knivews typically take about a month to get back which is fine, buyt for my EDC I want it back in my pocket fast.

So the Barage is actually maybe a little bigger than you are thinking but they also have the Mini-Barrage which is a 2.9″ blade. This knife is also on my short list as I think it might be more “acceptable” at work.

Full disclosure on the knife… I do wish it a had a little more “grip” to it, and I have bent the pocket clip enough that it doesn’t maintain quite the retention it used too. I’ve never had an issue with the grip but it just seems a little slick to me. The pocket clip I actually intend to call benchmade on and see if they will send me another one and maybe a slightly different designed one. I don’t care for the “pointy” end, it seems to grab things or possibly scratch things if I don’t pay attention. A very small gripe but an honest one.

Overall I think you would be very happy with the knife if you got it. The mini is $119 and the regular size is $127 on Knives Ship Free.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/benchmade/benchmade-knives-580-barrage-assisted-opening-axis-lock-plain-edge/

Also should point out this is my first Benchmade and it won’t be my last!!

Let us know what you get.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I carry a kershaw leek. It has been the best overall knife I have carried. Current one is my third, whenever I loose one I always try something else but end up going back to the leek.

I do plan to buy this the first day its available though.
    http://eseeknives.com/izula-folder.htm

Participant
    Up
    Down

I carry a paraframe a lot, as well as a regular folder in the pocket.

Recently bought a BK-14 for daily belt wear, small enough to carry but you could use it as a tent stake if needed. 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: toadmeister

Kershaw is one of the best I have owned. Carry it and use it every day. I could do almost anything with it.

What model Kershaw do you have? I have one that I keep in my deer pack. I think it has like a 3.5″ blade. Mine is the Kershaw Vapor. I am looking for something a little smaller, but I am not opposed to another Kershaw. I am open to about any brand right now.

I got the 1670olblk “onion”, bought it off Amazon. I really lime the textured grip on it too. Comes sharp, stays sharp.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Settled on the Benchmade 585 Mini Barage. The size I was looking for plus I like the blaze orange handle. Seems like it is going to be a super nice knife to use. Definitely happy with my purchase :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Settled on the Benchmade 585 Mini Barage. The size I was looking for plus I like the blaze orange handle. Seems like it is going to be a super nice knife to use. Definitely happy with my purchase :mrgreen:

Might I just say…… 😈 HELL YEAH !! 😈 😈

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maverick

Any other specifications? Single blade, multiple blades? Clip point, drop point, spey, tanto, etc?

What type of knife person are you, the one who sharpens after each use to keep a razor edge or the person who abuses it until it’s dull before sharpening? Softer steel is better suited to the former and harder steel to the latter.

I prefer a harder blade. My EDC knives are a Buck 3 bladed folder and an old Leatherman multi tool.

Also, I am a custom knife maker that is retiring not long in the future. My clients prefer a harder blade, for obvious reasons. Some knife owners like a softer blade for easier sharpening but as for myself, I detest having to stop in the middle of a chore and sharpen a knife.

Whatever hardness you prefer has it’s benefits. I do offer a few suggestions. Don’t abuse or neglect a knife, and don’t wait until the blade is very dull before sharpening. And as for a knife you will use a lot, make sure it has enough handle length without finger groove frills. A knife is a tool and a tool with a too small of a handle is pretty much worthless and unsafe for some chores. My ideal knife handle that is at least as long as the width of my hand.

I hope this doesn’t reflect me as an upstart, it being my first post here. :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: moonfish

spyderco delica is the perfect size for being in your pocket all the time.

X2

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Drahts

Might I just say…… 😈 HELL YEAH !! 😈 😈

It is a totally awesome blade! I have been carrying it for the past 5 weeks or so and have absolutely fallen in love with this knife! I have used it for many daily purposes (i.e. opening dog food bags, cutting sleeves off of shirts, rope, fishing line, digging stuff out of finger nails, removing slivers etc.) and it carries like it really isnt there. I am looking forward to using it for some more arduous chores in the upcoming hunting season, I have a feeling it will just slide through a deer’s hide :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

So I just wanted to toss out a thumbs up to Benchmade, didn’t want to start a whole new thread for it though. On 8/11/14 I sent out my 580 Barrage to Benchmade for their Lifesharp service which i’ve now used twice. I had the knife back on 8/21/14 with some extra requests I made taken care of at no expense to me. I also only paid to ship it there with insurance, they paid to ship it back. I think I forgot to include a check for return shipping but never heard anything about it from them. Knife is super smooth, dangerously sharp, and just like the day I bought it.

I’ve been super impressed with Benchmade since i first became a customer.

Just thought it worth mentioning about a U.S.A company !

And yes I have a new benchmade on the way from KSF because of how impressed I am with them!
    B)

fishhookfishhook
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: llewellinsetter

The Kershaw Leek fits your description and you can get two of them for your budget. I’ve gone through many higher priced and lesser quality knives through the years before finding the Leek. You can get it razor sharp, maintains an edge, fits well in the hand and on the pocket and has a good assist when opening. I use the handle as a lever for opening bottles and still works like new. For something a tad smaller look at the Chive. It’s funky blade is more challenging to be sharpened but is very utilitarian by design. Both come with the serrated option. A big plus for me is both knives are USA made.

X2
    Best advice yet. I have a Kershaw leek, it’s a great knife. Superior edge and sharpening, made in USA, and reasonably priced compared to some others. I will never buy another Gerber knife, they are not made in the USA.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have nothing but good stuff to say about my Benchmade and will probably be adding more to my collection. I am looking forward to it unzipping a couple of deer this fall!

Viewing 18 posts - 21 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.