Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Need knife advice

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am looking for a new pocket knife to carry daily and use when out in the wilderness. Looking for something that is somewhat small,3″-ish blade. Preferably assisted open or possibly automatic. Need opinions and preferably some pics. My budget is going to be $100-ish.

Thanks in advance

Participant
    Up
    Down

Kershaw is one of the best I have owned. Carry it and use it every day. I could do almost anything with it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: toadmeister

Kershaw is one of the best I have owned. Carry it and use it every day. I could do almost anything with it.

What model Kershaw do you have? I have one that I keep in my deer pack. I think it has like a 3.5″ blade. Mine is the Kershaw Vapor. I am looking for something a little smaller, but I am not opposed to another Kershaw. I am open to about any brand right now.

Participant
    Up
    Down

After much searching, I ended up with a Cold Steel Recon 1

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/RECON.20_1.20_SERIES/RECON_1_SERIES.aspx

I went with the 4″ blade cause it was the biggest I could fit in my pocket comfortably.
    The handle is thin, but tuff as nails.
    The AUS8A steel holds up to some beatings, and retains an edge, while still being able to sharpen nicely.
    The locking mechanism also has the capability to hold 200 lbs…..so it’s gonna take a lot for that thing to accidently close.
    You can find them on amazon in the $70 range.

Check out this torture test

Here is a pic i took of mine in the Texas Hill Country

Also look at benchmade.
    They have some AWESOME knifes in the $100 range.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Any other specifications? Single blade, multiple blades? Clip point, drop point, spey, tanto, etc?

What type of knife person are you, the one who sharpens after each use to keep a razor edge or the person who abuses it until it’s dull before sharpening? Softer steel is better suited to the former and harder steel to the latter.

Participant
    Up
    Down

It’s more of a game knife but I really like my Havalon Piranta. They are inexpensive and durable. I also have a couple Benchmade folding pocket knives that I like.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Kershaw ZING SS Blade is 3 inches, assisted opening, frame lock(which I love) Steel: 8Cr13MoV which is okay steel. Also comes in way under Budget at $40.00

But if you want to spend just a hair more then a hundred a nice option is the Benchmade Volli
    Assited opening with my favorite Steel S30V Holds a great edge. $130 That would be my pick if I had the money. However I tend to loose them from time to time so I never went that high. The Kershaw is a good knife for the price. Benchmade is just much better qaulity.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Maverick

Any other specifications? Single blade, multiple blades? Clip point, drop point, spey, tanto, etc?

What type of knife person are you, the one who sharpens after each use to keep a razor edge or the person who abuses it until it’s dull before sharpening? Softer steel is better suited to the former and harder steel to the latter.

Im usually the kind that is pretty rough on stuff. I want one that will hold a decent edge but not impossible to put an edge back on. I am thinking a drop point.

Participant
    Up
    Down

HI,

I went with the Spyderco Paramilitary. Single blade lockback. Nice blade and excellent handle.

Reed

Participant
    Up
    Down

FYI/IMHO – spring assisted/automatic opening knives will eventually wear down, and will not open the blade properly.
    This is why I didn’t go with an assisted opening knife. Most non assisted knives can be opened with one hand any way.
    Hope you find something that fits well. 😉

Up
    Down

The Kershaw Leek fits your description and you can get two of them for your budget. I’ve gone through many higher priced and lesser quality knives through the years before finding the Leek. You can get it razor sharp, maintains an edge, fits well in the hand and on the pocket and has a good assist when opening. I use the handle as a lever for opening bottles and still works like new. For something a tad smaller look at the Chive. It’s funky blade is more challenging to be sharpened but is very utilitarian by design. Both come with the serrated option. A big plus for me is both knives are USA made.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Buck knives have always treated me well. I’m not sure which model would be suited best for you but they come with lifetime warranty and last a lifetime. Definitely hold a really good edge and will stand the test of time.

Participant
    Up
    Down

SOG Flash I

SOG Flashback

Lightning OTF

Boker Plus AK74

There are tons, but these are a few that come to mind…

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Heinrix_54

Lightning OTF

I would steer clear of these. I bought 3 of them when Blade HQ had them on sale for like $12.99. Gave one to my cousin, it broke on the 3rd use. I broke one on about the 5th time using it, and still have the last one sitting in a box somewhere. I think that’s probably where it’s going to stay.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Yikes, Mav. I’ve never handled one, I’ve been waiting to find a good deal to try one out since it’s a neat little blade and CHEAP for an OTF auto.

Guess it’s cheap for a reason, huh :mrgreen:

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Heinrix_54

Yikes, Mav. I’ve never handled one, I’ve been waiting to find a good deal to try one out since it’s a neat little blade and CHEAP for an OTF auto.

Guess it’s cheap for a reason, huh :mrgreen:

Dude, you pay for a padded envelope and the shipping and I’ll GIVE you my last one. Lots of blade wobble, cheap blade steel, way too heavy, and it won’t last long before the spring breaks and it won’t deploy.

Won’t find a much better deal than that. 😉

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve been real happy with my CRKT HEIHO. I believe it was around $45 at Blade HQ. I used to carry a Protech Monaco until I thought I had lost it (got lucky it turned up) and came to the realization I’d rather lose a $45 knife instead of a $150 knife.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I like knives and good quality knives at that, but cant bring myself to carry a $100 everyday user and abuser and posiably loser of a knife. gerber paraframe with like a 2.5 inch blade. takes a likin and keeps on tikin.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t know what model I carry is, but it’s a Buck knife. Flip open, black plastic handle which fits my hand really well. Scheels had them on sale for 25 bucks, it was normally 40. I couldn’t ask for more, the thing has skinned about 50 squirrels this year and it still works like a champ. I would be sick if I lost a 100 dollar pocket knife, but I am sure mine isnt the best. I just think for what you might use it for, the little guy packs a lot of value.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: LONESUMGUS

I like knives and good quality knives at that, but cant bring myself to carry a $100 everyday user and abuser and posiably loser of a knife. gerber paraframe with like a 2.5 inch blade. takes a likin and keeps on tikin.

I am currently carrying a mini paraframe I got off ebay I think it was about $12…it serves its purpose I think the last thing I used it for was to cut a tag off of a pair of undies then cut a chub in half :mrgreen:
    I dont plan on losing my knives I think I have been carrying that gerber for about 10 years now…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.