Home Forums NE Iowa Winter Trout Fishing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

With the pheasant season coming to a close, I am itching to trout fish. Does anyone have any experiences with trout fishing in the winter somewhere in NE Iowa? Is it worth the trip?

Participant
    Up
    Down

you can catch trout all year –even in the very coldest day if you can find open water.  yrs ago i used to cut a hole in the ice and catch them.  but it seems that on days when there is a melt it is sometimes almost impossible.  i was told the melt lowered the water temp.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Thanks! Will I find much open water in February?

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I personally have never fished NE Iowa for trout in the winter months but I do have a lot of experience fishing there in the warmer months. I would HIGHLY doubt you will have any problems finding open water as the streams are rather swift. I would reckon some of the pools will be frozen but for the most part I would say there will be plenty of opportunity.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

Thanks! Will I find much open water in February?

Participant
    Up
    Down

if you find it it will be at the head of a run.  you will then have to bait fish .  we would use jolly green giant nibblets on a small hook and very small split and float it under the ice.   AND yes there would be trout in almost every pool.   we also would clean snow off the ice and cut a hole and use the same corn bait thru the ice.    way to get out and enjoy the the winter!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.