Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Navonics and DNR GPS Coordinates

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

OK, I downloaded the Navonics app and am trying to add the DNR GPS coordinates into it.

The coordinates seem way off. 😡

What am I doing wrong?

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

The DNR uses a different GPS system than Navionics. You have to convert the DNR coordinates to one that the Navionics will understand. You can google how to.convert, I just dont remember which one is which. It takes time.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks, does anyone else have any suggestions.

I put the DNR coordinates into a converter but it seems like the conversion was a few hundred feet off the mark.

Has anyone found a conversion website that is accurate to match with the DNR coordinates?

Participant
    Up
    Down

This website is a lifesaver for conversions, however you’ll need to do another one to get into the official Navionics option of Deg Dec. Min.

https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/UsefulData/ConvertUTMNoOZ.HTM

Kind of a pain in the butt when the DNR has the oldest version around and Navionics uses an equally rare equivalent. Why they can’t all use DD or DMS is beyond me…

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: cyclones30

This website is a lifesaver for conversions, however you’ll need to do another one to get into the official Navionics option of Deg Dec. Min.

Kind of a pain in the butt when the DNR has the oldest version around and Navionics uses an equally rare equivalent. Why they can’t all use DD or DMS is beyond me…

Because in terms of mapping, DD or DMS are probably the WORST choices out there. Think about it, when you’re mapping out features in a 1,000 ft area, do you REALLY want to use a coordinate system where a difference of 100 feet doesn’t show up on the right side of the decimal point?

Most all of the DNR data I’ve seen is recorded in UTM Zone 15 coordinates. Yes, it’s in meters, but it’s still real-world numbers — the difference between N 343,854,100 and N 343,854,200 is 100 meters, or around 350 feet. How far apart are W92° 45′ 32.54″ and W92° 45′ 35.73″?

The reason your consumer-grade GPS units DON’T use UTM or State Plane coordinates is you have to change ‘zones’ as you move across the country. It’s easier for them to define things in a worldwide coordinate datum. But that worldwide datum kind of sucks when it comes to ‘local’ mapping, so regional systems are used instead.

When I first started geocaching almost 10 years ago, I *hated* UTM coordinates, or anything that didn’t look like DD or DMS. Now, give me the choice between working with DMS coordinates and smacking myself in the kneecap with a ball peen hammer, and I might just choose the hammer.

Participant
    Up
    Down

When I first started geocaching almost 10 years ago, I *hated* UTM coordinates, or anything that didn’t look like DD or DMS. Now, give me the choice between working with DMS coordinates and smacking myself in the kneecap with a ball peen hammer, and I might just choose the hammer.

Love that one

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: dkwolf

Quote by: cyclones30

Because in terms of mapping, DD or DMS are probably the WORST choices out there. Think about it, when you’re mapping out features in a 1,000 ft area, do you REALLY want to use a coordinate system where a difference of 100 feet doesn’t show up on the right side of the decimal point?

Most all of the DNR data I’ve seen is recorded in UTM Zone 15 coordinates. Yes, it’s in meters, but it’s still real-world numbers — the difference between N 343,854,100 and N 343,854,200 is 100 meters, or around 350 feet. How far apart are W92° 45′ 32.54″ and W92° 45′ 35.73″?

The reason your consumer-grade GPS units DON’T use UTM or State Plane coordinates is you have to change ‘zones’ as you move across the country. It’s easier for them to define things in a worldwide coordinate datum. But that worldwide datum kind of sucks when it comes to ‘local’ mapping, so regional systems are used instead.

I agree with that, I’ll use UTM any day of the week. Just going back and forth is a pain. I’ll stick to UTM and my Omnistar G2 receiver

Participant
    Up
    Down

I attended a seminar on Hummingbird out at Bass Pro last year. The presenter said the same thing about DNR coordinates and Hummingbird. You had to convert them to use them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.