Home Forums Miscellaneous Camping National Park lifetime pass opportunity

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Currently if your 62 or older you can buy a lifetime pass for $10 until August 28. After that they go to $80. I’m not old enough but what a great deal.

Whip

Participant

Yes, this is a great deal. I got mine two years ago and enjoy it quite frequently. I fish at Coralville quite a bit and it costs $5 a day to use the ramp or just to park in the lot. I no longer have to pay that ridiculous fee. I have not had the opportunity to use the 50% off camping fee at Corps camp grounds but that will be really nice when I do.

The current $10 fee is as cheap of an entertainment fee as you’ll ever find…and it’s life time. Even at the $80 fee, it’ll pay for itself the first 1 or 2 years. A great value. If you’re 62 or older, go get one. Even if you use it only once or twice, it’ll pay for itself. And if you’re not 62 yet, get one when you turn 62…well worth the value. Might make a good birthday gift from one of your kids.

L8R…Ken

Participant

I never realized that these National Park passes could be used at places such as Coralville, Red Rock, and Saylorville. Do all of the passes get you free entrance without having to pay the boat ramp fee or it just for certain passes? It appears there are various types of passes available, including an annual pass, senior pass, military pass, and an access pass for people with permanent disabilities. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Participant

I used mine for the first time a few weeks ago while visiting the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Upon entering the park you pass through the area where they collect the fees. The woman at the booth said the fee was $20, then says if anyone in the truck was 62 the fee would only be $10 and finally stated that if anyone on board had the federal pass it would be free. I just happened to have one! What a great deal! My pass more than paid for itself. Happy I was able to get it before the super price increase!

Participant

When parked at a ramp such as Coralville/Red Rock, how do you show in your vehicle you have a pass?

Participant

When we got ours at the Neal Smith NWR at Prairie City they gave us a plastic holder to hang from your rear view mirror. We just returned from a family get-together at the Olympic national Park in Washington and the passes have already paid for themselves. You’ve been paying for them with your licenses and stamps for years, so take advantage of them now if you’re eligible.

Participant

The pass is honored at the following:
    National Park Service
    U.S. Forest Service
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
    Bureau of Land Management
    Bureau of Reclamation
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

There is also an Access Pass for those with permanent disabilities.

whip2whip2
    Participant

Quote by: kenhump

The pass is honored at the following:
    National Park Service
    U.S. Forest Service
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
    Bureau of Land Management
    Bureau of Reclamation
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

There is also an Access Pass for those with permanent disabilities.

Ken, does this pass get me in Free to use the Boat Ramps at Lake Red Rock & I don’t have to pay the $5.00 fee ?

Thanks
    whip2

whip2

Participant

I think it may get reduced fee. Not sure as COE are not always consistant accross the board.

Participant

Quote by: CBinAmes

When we got ours at the Neal Smith NWR at Prairie City they gave us a plastic holder to hang from your rear view mirror. We just returned from a family get-together at the Olympic national Park in Washington and the passes have already paid for themselves. You’ve been paying for them with your licenses and stamps for years, so take advantage of them now if you’re eligible.

That’s where I got mine too, but they didn’t give me a holder , but that’s been 2 years ago.

Participant

Got mine a couple months ago, what a deal.

Participant

Whip2…those passes work at all Corps boat ramps and campgrounds. But not if it’s a State Park. The ramp at Elk Rock and the camp ground there are both State owned, but the ramp is free. You can use the pass at the Coralville ramp at Mahaffey and at the dam without charge. The ramp at McBride is state owned but it’s free too. I think the camp grounds there are Corps property so you could get 50% off…but I’m not positive they are Corps.

As someone mentioned, when you purchase your permit, they give you a plastic holder that hooks onto your rear view mirror. I just leave mine there, hasn’t flew out yet in two years.

Hope this helps…happy camping.

L8R…Ken

whip2whip2
    Participant

Thanks Ken

I usually use the ramp at the Marina or at the one at the South Overlook so I am guessing maybe a reduced rate?.

Anyone ever use those ramps and use the Park Pass?

whip2

whip2

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.