my first piece of pottery 2011-08-30T15:24:09+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Artifacts and Finds my first piece of pottery

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Found this walking a creek today. Does anyone have anything similar to this pattern? It shows one full design and then on the right side it looks like it repeats the same thing. Its from a rather narrow pot…maybe a small cup? It lays perfectly on the side of my 3 inch diameter magnifying glass. The pattern reminds me of a pineapple.

I also found 2 buffalo teeth and a bone that looks kind like something, maybe not. Its hollowed out and has a near perfect oblong shaped hole right in the middle. It also feels real good in my hand. Id appreciate some guesses as to what this might be.

axegothic3
    Participant

That bone looks like a normal femur to me.

matt g
    Participant

Looks like a couple things from 19th century Iowans! The pottery piece is from a crockery vessel……see where on the inside you can tell it was formed on a potters wheel? Natives didn’t use that form of manufacture. Also, the bone appears to have been cut with a metal saw.

Sorry to be a Debby downer…..maybe you’ve found a pioneer site! That would be as neat to me as an Indian site.

Matt

JigginFool
    Participant

Quote by: matt+g

Looks like a couple things from 19th century Iowans! The pottery piece is from a crockery vessel……see where on the inside you can tell it was formed on a potters wheel? Natives didn’t use that form of manufacture. Also, the bone appears to have been cut with a metal saw.

Sorry to be a Debby downer…..maybe you’ve found a pioneer site! That would be as neat to me as an Indian site.

Matt

Thanks for chiming in matt! I was thinking the same about the pottery, I knew they didn’t use wheels but I thought maybe it was from smoothing the inside with something. And yes I was wondering how in the heck an indian would have cut through the bone. Oh well! Ill have to add this pottery to my other known early settlement pieces and not the new indian pottery collection.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.