Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting my calling tally…update

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Once again, good comments by the experienced guys. The fun of getting out and enjoying the outdoors is the fruit for me. I do get frustrated and wish for a kill, but have come to realize that for us new guys, there’s a bit of dumb luck involved. You’ve got to be in the right place and have everything right to score. Example being, the third one I shot two years ago was stalking a flock of turkeys that appeared just after I got to my spot and set up. I didn’t even have to call except for one quiet wah on the rabbit call after the turkeys flew up to roost to get him headed my way. Didn’t shoot a one last year. Didn’t have much time to hunt and let my nephew pop the only yote called in for me last year.
    I think the guys are right in assessing if you feel the time and effort are worth it to you. If you do stick with it, read all posts and think about what you’ve missed on your hunts. I know after a good look, I’ve done just about every thing wrong I could possibly do. There is a ton of good info here. And, I am glad that the vets of the sport let us know that it’s a hit and miss venture.
    Good luck and hope you have some success soon. I still haven’t fired a shot yet either this year. They are on the move around my house now and I hope to end the dry spell too.

Participant

Once again, good comments by the experienced guys. The fun of getting out and enjoying the outdoors is the fruit for me. I do get frustrated and wish for a kill, but have come to realize that for us new guys, there’s a bit of dumb luck involved. You’ve got to be in the right place and have everything right to score. Example being, the third one I shot two years ago was stalking a flock of turkeys that appeared just after I got to my spot and set up. I didn’t even have to call except for one quiet wah on the rabbit call after the turkeys flew up to roost to get him headed my way. Didn’t shoot a one last year. Didn’t have much time to hunt and let my nephew pop the only yote called in for me last year.
    I think the guys are right in assessing if you feel the time and effort are worth it to you. If you do stick with it, read all posts and think about what you’ve missed on your hunts. I know after a good look, I’ve done just about every thing wrong I could possibly do. There is a ton of good info here. And, I am glad that the vets of the sport let us know that it’s a hit and miss venture.
    Good luck and hope you have some success soon. I still haven’t fired a shot yet either this year. They are on the move around my house now and I hope to end the dry spell too.

I agree 100%. Dumb luck still plays a role every once in awhile for me. Probably for everyone. Going one on one with a coyote trying to make him come to your call is not easy. My opinion, Its the hardest animal to hunt here in Iowa. He’s smart and tough to kill. Throughout history we tried poison, traps’ hunting, fumigating, fire, smoking them out bounties, about everything imaginable to eradicate him off this planet. Well he’s still here and we still have continuous open season. I have to respect this animal and how its adapted throughout the times. I read and study a lot of info on this animal. I’m always anticipating the next thread from the guys that share their knowledge with us to give me that little edge to be that much more successful. For most of us its a love hate relationship, despised but respected. Someone posted that he doesn’t know why but he finds himself shaking a little when trying to make a shot on one when calling. I do to. I get nervous hoping ,praying that my bullet flies true. I know its because of all my failed hunts and the time spent in the field trying to outsmart this damn dog. For me everyone is a trophy. By the way my dry spell is over but I know Ill have many more..Stay in the game, again good luck

WhipWhip
    Participant

My advice is don’t give it up just yet. I suspect I started out well before Scruffy with the gift of a Tally-ho call from a old farmer who I hunted fox with when I was 13 in 1969. He claimed you could call in fox just by blowing it. So I gave it heck for a couple of years and just like you I got discouraged. Sure it worked great to get a sleeping fox to stand up but they weren’t exactly running me over. I carried that call in my old hunting jacket pocket for years. When ever I was bored hunting I pulled it out and blew it. Guess what one day a coyote in Van Buren County about ran me over. I was so amazed I didn’t even get my gun up to my shoulder. I was hooked after that and called until I actually killed one. I doubt I had any competition in any of the locations I called back then. I called in Iowa until 1980 when I moved to Wyoming. I hooked up with the local game warden who had grown up in Wyoming and had learned to call here. I learned quite a bit about calling from him and continue to learn more every time I go out. You need the right situation and it will happen. Coyotes are smart but not invincible and one will come busting in eventually. 😉

Whip

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Quote by: Whip

I suspect I started out well before Scruffy with the gift of a Tally-ho call from a old farmer who I hunted fox with when I was 13 in 1969.

An old farmer gave you that call? I thought it Moses or Abraham or maybe it was Adam that gave you that call???? :mrgreen:

WhipWhip
    Participant

Name if I remember right was Noah and he was building some kind of boat. Must have been worried about global warming. My true revelation has been using electric callers. It was a big move for me to move into the 2000s with recorded sounds. It increased my success rate and has kept me learning.Now all I need is a powered walker.

Whip

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

I recently started Coyote hunting…I read a lot of motivational stuff in the forums, like ” stay with it, figure out what works, don’t give up, eventually you’ll find something that works, so on, so forth, but, I like to read more about the technical approaches to it … no dogs, just a couple guys using mouth and electronic caller…. hunting mainly in the general area of Ottumwa, so, being a river valley, our terrain is a mix of cornfields, creeks, rolling hills, heavy brush and timber.

Participant

I recently started Coyote hunting…I read a lot of motivational stuff in the forums, like ” stay with it, figure out what works, don’t give up, eventually you’ll find something that works, so on, so forth, but, I like to read more about the technical approaches to it … no dogs, just a couple guys using mouth and electronic caller…. hunting mainly in the general area of Ottumwa, so, being a river valley, our terrain is a mix of cornfields, creeks, rolling hills, heavy brush and timber

I’m no expert, not by a darn site. The best advice I can give anyone is walking to the stand where you will be calling. It has to be quiet, stealth if you will. Don’t skyline yourself. Be a ghost.
    The wind will also make or break you. I prefer a crosswind that blows towards the place I want him to come to check me out. A good semi clear shooting lane is ideal still a little cover so he isn’t nervous as such but yet I can see the approach he is making. I like a wind between the one o’clock to 3 o’clock position. Above all there has to be a coyote in the area. When I joined this site a couple of years ago I kept a log of my hunts and the first year after reading the post of guys that have put the time in like E.V. Hawkeye, Skruffy and many others, I decided to walk the section after I was done calling just to see if I could jump or even see a dog. I did this “every” time that first year. It gave me a good feeling that I had never jumped one. Granted he could of gave me the slip but still I need that piece of mind. Where I’m at every section doesn’t hold a coyote. This little piece of information took a toll on my time spent in the field. There has to be one here! or He will be out of the wind there.!” They might hunt the section and the tracks are there but his hotel room is someplace else. I have several pieces of land that I make sets in and only two are very reliable. The others are touch and go. This year, many new places were tried. They look like some of the best yote hunting land I ever seen but I haven’t connected with one yet. Still trying to figure it out and that will come with time. I’m a slow learner but with trial and error I will succeed. The stuff I posted about the wind and walking to the set I learned by watching what these guys post. I’m always on it when someone post a new thread. Yea, I know Im one of them who post alot the ole saying ” never give up” or” keep trying.” Thats because I like to see someone getting theie first coyote to come to their stand and share the feeling I got when I got mine. Its great… Good luck……..And don’t give up (‘:D’)

TheDuckMasterTheDuckMaster
    Participant

Hello ,

Please dont give it up. I cant offer you any help because I have dimentia and I have trouble even remebering Iowa Sportsman most days.

However, there are allot of many great people on this site like Scruffy and Whip. Which are pretty darn good callers. Also do what I am doing and get some books and learn about predators. Also learn about domestic dogs as they are not that much different in biological atrributes then those of coyotes, wolves and coywolves.

Before Christmas I went to my favorite learning spot in Nebraska to trap and learn to call again. I took books with me and despite my attempts after 70 stands and 30 trapping sets over a dead cow, and traditonal sets, I came up skunked in 10 days. I guess I forgot allot but I am not giving up because I think it will happen again.

Before I posted these words I went back and reviewed some things I have written in the past as have reminded me that I was a decent caller. One thing I think I have always said is this, Iowa coyotes are not like their eastern or western cousins. They have pletny to eat. So I recomend learning coyote language. Howls, barks wuffs and growls. Especially now as breeding season has started.

None the less keep after them and I am sure one day it will all come together.

Larry

Participant

thanks all for the encouraging words. I went out calling Saturday night after the snowfall and the full moon. I sat about 200 yards off the road in a field drive that goes along a fence and goes out .25 mile to the next field. In the next field there is a tract of timber that runs along a creek. The wind was blowing through the timber and then into my face. I put the caller in the fence about 30 yards closer to the timber then where I was going to sit. I figured if there was any yote nearby it would be coming from the timber. I turned on the caller and put on rabbit distress. It ran for about 5 minutes then I tured it off and sat quietly for about 10 minutes. Then I turned on pup distress for about 5 minutes then turned it off for about 10 minutes. Then I turned on piliated woodpecker and that is when the magic happend. The caller ran for about 5 seconds and I heard ARF-ARF ARF ARF-ARF A-R-R-R-R-R-R. I thought oh my god theres a coyote behind me. Unfortunatly it was downwind of me. I figured it smelled me and it was barking an alert call. It continued barking. I thought I would turn on a female adult challenge call. When I did this I never heard another word from the yote. I sat there for another 10 minutes and decided to walk back to my truck which was on the road almost a mile from my calling spot. I got my flashlight out and went walking looking for tracks from the yote I heard. I found his tracks roughly 20 yards into the field on the opposite side of the road from my calling spot. It was pretty exciting.

I feel like this has put a little bit of energy back into my drive.

no my caller is not for sale. I took it out this morning and killed 3 crows

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.