Mountain Lion in DesMonies2019-05-09T12:34:51-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Mountain Lion in DesMonies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ok Coydog I was shocked today to see an article in our Wyoming newspaper about a mountain lion in downtown DesMonies. Its on I235 and 31st street so that is a pretty good description of location. The photo is the real thing. You need to check this out. https://trib.com/news/national/wildlife-officials-confirm-des-moines-mountain-lion-sighting/article_850ded88-365e-50f8-bc70-03e37d2c0f9b.html

Whip

Participant

I just saw video footage of the mountain lion on the local news. Yes, it is for sure the real thing.

Participant

I’m not to surprised, Whip.  Another lion was seen a few days ago.  Around 3:30pm roaming the Wolf Lake edition neighborhood. I spoke with one of the guys who seen it. He said it was huge.

Participant

Oh by the way…meow.

WhipWhip
    Participant

Ev I’m going to retire on June 28. I going to teach an EMT class this fall and an EMT P class next spring but no more running active.I also have an invite to go lion hunting with a former student that runs lions year round for researchers and outfitters. He told my son to load up my horse and we will hunt this fall. I can’t wait to take a lion. Then the only legal game animal left for me to take is a mountain goat unless they open the grizzly bear season. Go get that cat in Iowa!!

Whip

Participant

I always liked hound hunting, Jim. That is how I got into predators in the 1st place Fall of 64.  Hope you do well, Jim on the lions. I didn’t know you were a medic? Seems my quest for a one on one is eternal. I regret passing on the one many yrs ago. Had there not been standing corn it walked into. He would’ve been killed that day. I reckon I’m destined to pay for my error. haha

WhipWhip
    Participant

I’m also retiring from the school district. I have been a local EMT since 1989 running nights then teaching and coaching in the local school district during the day. I have also cowboyed and farmed on weekends and summer break.  Hired out as a fire medic with the BLM and  US Forest Service for summers starting in 1998. Gave that up in 2011 when I became an administrator with a year round contract in the school district. I started teaching in Iowa in 1978. Plan to farm, cowboy, hunt,fish and trap until the end if I have my way.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Whip Whip.

Whip

Participant

Well happy retirement! When you get there, Jim. Last handful of yrs. Been seeing low coyotes numbers. Of course I’ve been mainly looking in north Marshall & Western Grundy Counties. There is a older guy Marshalltown Trapper. Who hammers the coyotes hard every year. So I expect the low numbers are because of his take. I ran into him one day. He had a pile in the back of his truck. I’ve been seeing low 30’s for a number of yrs now. Not like the late 70’s early 80’s. They were thick back then. I think I seen 81 one Winter if I recall now? I do miss hammering on them I must say. End of last Winter I spotted a sleeping pair out near the 1/4 mile. So tempting so tempting B)

By the way. The Wolf Lake edition is roughly 1 mile SouEast of Marshalltown, Iowa. I’ll hunt that are hard next Winter. My Dad’s coyote hound tree’d a lion behind Riverview Park in Marshalltown. Summer of 68 or 69? I can’t recall now days. My memory is fading. I can’t believe some believe the IDNR released them. Good grief! The lions have always been here. But appear to be populating now more than in the last 100yrs give or take. I hear tell “They” were eradicated from Iowa. Turn of the century? I had no idea the “entire state was fenced in” back then? who knew…. You know…for “the great lion round-up & extermination” haha

meow

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatar coydog.
    WhipWhip
    Participant

I have always said with all the deer in Iowa a lion could live a good life. The only issue would be how they and lots of people would interact. My son as a game warden here in WY gets called periodically for lion issues. Mostly it’s people that are transplants to WY and get freaked when a lion shows up. I went with him a couple of times  and got to hear folks get pretty worked up over a lion around the house. They wanted him to remove it and provide 24/7 security for their family and pets.  Unlike when he gets a call from an old rancher who tells him,” Hey a lion was here in the yard and it was acting odd so I shot the SOB, you can come get it.” Just different ways of dealing with the same issue. Not sure how folks in Iowa will respond because lions are curious and potentially could cause issues. Hunting them with dogs should be easy with a road every section. Last winter my son was flying in a helicopter counting elk and spotted a female lion with three cubs just on the edge of town on an elk kill. He checked with the neighbor who was less than 1/4 mile away and no one had seen them or even knew they were around. He never heard anything and they were really close to the homes. So they can coexist quietly and most folks won’t notice.  Good luck Ev I will post pics if I get a lion this winter.

Whip

Participant

Jim, I spoke with an experienced lion hunter from AZ some yrs back. As I was gathering 1st hand knowledge of lion behaviors. Trying to obtain as much lion behaviors as I could to get an edge on them. He claimed the lions he was aware of that have an established territory. They will run a circuit on their land roughly on 2 wk interval. When he told me that I thought maybe that was etched in stone? Because I had heard that very thing from a farmer 10 miles south of me. He had seen  similar 2x. But my experience has been they are most irregular. Regularly…irregular in their travels if you will. To date I have spoken with 70+ people who have seen a lion. Including the Counties of; Hardin, Jasper, Tama, Marshall, Grundy & Story. A handful of those people. Have seen a pr of lions & or a female with 2 subs in tow. Now days when someone claims to “know” about their travel patterns. Makes me squint if you get my drift. haha

Lion I seen around 12 Winters ago. Was sitting between some standing corn & a fence line 3/8 mile out. Lion was facing the Minerva creek to it’s North. I seen that lion around 2.5 miles due West of Albion Iowa.

Info I have gathered over those last 12+ yrs is. There is/was a female up in Hardin County & 1 in Tama County. With a large male covering those counties. Including Marshall county. I believe the lion I seen West of Albion was the male. Lion was huge. Some kid in M’town will probably tag one with his cork gun. Before I get the chance. No matter. I still hunt hard for my opportunity. It’s all good.

WhipWhip
    Participant

I have been told the same about the 2 week circle but I think it maybe applies where lions have territory to defend from other lions.  I doubt Iowa has much of a density of lion population and if anything they are looking for a mate so the circle might be really large. Or its young lions just looking for a good place to set up shop. Anyway good luck finding one.

Whip

Participant

My thoughts are along those same lines, Jim. Who knows Iowa’s pop? But no doubt, it is expanding. I have yet to hear of “mass Iowa lion killings” Finding a fresh track, let along seeing one on permissioned ground. Will be most rare. But I still have hope. Because, I’m relentless.

Participant

Not to stray far off the topic. But over my hunt years, Jim. I’ve seen 3 wolves here in central Iowa. 1st wolf was seen circa; 1972. Just SouWest of Rhodes, Ia. 2 of our coyote hounds caught that wolf around 1/4 mile off of the gravel. All 3 fought hard on a hillside. At least once or more times. That wolf had each dog’s head in his mouth. My Dad’s hound weighed 110lbs, he was very large for his breed & built stocky. the other hound was a Walker Hound around 60lbs give or take. Willard & I topped the high hill. Here came both hounds staggering back in the deep snow. Both hounds had puncture wounds on their head/muzzle, neck, chest & shoulders. We packed the wounds with snow. That wolf was huge. A salt & pepper color.

2nd wolf I seen late one night as I rounded a sharp turn on a gravel road. 2 miles South of Marshalltown, Iowa. Wolf was following a beat down deer trail on the hard pack snow. Wolf stopped 1/2 through a spread barbed fence & looked at my vehicle. I suppose I was less than 50′ from it. A large & beautiful wolf. Smoky black in color.

3rd wolf I seen Winter of 04? If I recall.  I seen it 2 miles due East of Green Mountain Iowa. Wolf was very large, long lanky legs. It was a dirty cream color, with a brownish/tan saddle marking on it’s back.

I hope to catch one on camera. Before I get to old to hunt anymore. There are a few nomadic wolves who do pass through Iowa. A rare sight to behold, no doubt.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatar coydog.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatar coydog.
    Participant

Just saw on the local news another lion sighting on the south side of Des Moines this afternoon. 5/26/2019

Participant

I heard that. Hope they multiply like roaches. I want one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!