Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting Missed Shot.relocate?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Greetings….I am looking to give turkey hunting a try for the 1st time this spring. I’ve been watching a LOT of Outdoor TV and doing a lot of reading on the internet. I have a few types of calls ive been practicing.(my wife is rather annoyed at this point) My 12 year old wants to go during youth season and I think i will take that opportunity to “practice” before i hit the woods. My question is if my boy would happen to miss a bird (wich is likely) do i need to move to another location or just wait it out. I wasnt sure how long it would be before they would come back if at all. Of course this scenerio is IF I get any Gobblers to come to us
    Thanks!

realtown12
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Welcome to Iowa Outdoors,

There are a few factors you have to take into consideration. If you are set up in an area that is covered in turkey, and you are where most of them want to be on most days, then I’d sit tight if i were you, you might get another shot as close as 30 min later. If you know there are only a couple gobblers in the area 1 or 2, I might move on and try to get another to sound off.

We really don’t know exactly what those paranoid critters are gonna do on any given day, but they want to eat, strut, make more turkey, and sleep. So if you figure out where they do what on most days, you could have an excellent chance to bag one.

Do your homework, and best of luck to you and your boy..

smb123
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for the input. I am getting pretty excited (borderline obsessive)

JCronk
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: smb123

Thanks for the input. I am getting pretty excited (borderline obsessive)

Trust me, it only get worse!! :mrgreen:

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

It’s hard to avoid missing all of the time but going out and shooting some targets in normal turkey hunting situations and patterning your shotgun with the load you intend to use will greatly decrease the potential that you and your boy will need to reposition because of a miss. Don’t be afraid to not shoot if you’re uncomfortable with the range or whatever. It feels worse to shoot at and miss a gobbler than to get close and not get a shot. Back-up plans are an absolute necessity in turkey hunting but you should put as much as possible into not having to use them.

Jeremy Rosonke
    Participant
    Up
    Down

IMO, it’s more the spooked turkey running off that’ll cause you to have to relocate than the shot itself.

If he goes away from where you expect other turkeys you can try to stay put.

I’ve shot 1 bird in a group and not had the rest of them spook at the shot more than once.

JRD
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If it is your first time out, do as was mentioned about patterning your gun. mark off 30 yards and check your pattern. I would also reccommend that you walk off that distance from where you sit to hunt. prop a couple sticks in a radius to use as a guage.

If you do miss and had/have other gobbling around you, I would wait it out. I’ve shot coyotes and had toms come in as soon as 20 minutes later. If your son has a gameboy or similar, you might have him take it as kids (mine) can get figity waiting in the woods.

good luck!

sonar83
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would say moving would spook them off easier than a shotgun blast. I would sit tight.

TeamAsgrow
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I say hold tight, If the birds dont have a great idea of where the shot came from they dont know what to do. I have been hunting with friends and they were a couple hundred yards off and shot, at the same time I had birds in front of me and after the shot they gobbled at the noise. They are goofy birds, just make sure you are concealed really good and know your yardage, they are big birds and can look a lot closer than they really are. Good Luck

smb123
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks for all the tips…It’s going to be a fun experience I’m sure.
    smb

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.