Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Missed doe at 9 YARDS!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Picking up deer hunting at age 30 is the most challenging thing ever. Doe read the script and came in broadside at 9 yards. It was right at last light thought I had the pin in the right spot and bam. Right over her back. I have relived this moment for the last 12 hours tossing and turning. Just had to vent and any words of wisdom or stories that would make me feel better would be great. AAARRRGGGGG. 😳

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

Just read as many bow deer hunting stories as you can find in here from the last few years. You’ll see a lot of us have had our failures as well, and I’m sure there’s many, many more stories of failures that haven’t been told in here as well. 😉

It aint just you by any stretch of the imagination.

basspro23basspro23
    Participant

I did this EXACT same thing 2 years ago. I feel you, man. It makes ya want to dig a giant hole with your fists.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Low light is tough. You can have your peep misaligned pretty easily in low light. It don’t take away the frustration but be thankful it was a clean miss.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

Fall off the horse, ya get back on it.
    25 years of bowhunting, i have had a few fall offs. I havr learned to accept them, however i also do my best to prevent them!

Get back on and ride. Good luck!

Participant

Misses happen man. Show me a person who hasn’t missed and I’ll show you a person who hasn’t hunted that long. It’s all apart of the game of stick and string.

Participant

Doe fever maybe? I have made my fair share of bad shots over the years as well and still struggle with the thought of some of them. When I was younger I quit bow hunting for several years because of it mostly because I wounded deer and didn’t recover it. Its all part of the bowhunting sport. Were you in a stand or on the ground? I think a 9 yard shot from the stand is a very difficult shot. Would rather take a 20 to 30 yarder.

Participant

Just be glad it was a doe and not a 150 inch buck. We all have had our share of misses.Good luck on the next one.

Participant

It happens to everyone. Low light, along with only being 9 yards away, more can go wrong than expected. Were you in a stand? Close shots can sometimes be tough. Remembering to bend at the waist. Was the deer alert? Usually unless the deer is completely relaxed, I aim low, to make up for the duck that does so often do. Get out there, shoot your bow some, get back on the saddle, and shoot one to get your confidence back up.

Participant

Pick a spot!!!!

Participant

I feel your pain but use this as a learning tool. Try to duplicate the miss by shooting at a target. Analyze what may have happened to cause the error. Did you possibly use the wrong pin? Was the arrow nocked correctly? Of course you can’t answer that now, so step back 9 yards and purposely use the next pin. Does your arrow go where it did when you took the shot at the doe? If so, you may have your answer. Only by trying to identify what went wrong, can you eliminate repeating the same error.

We all make mistakes, learning to identify those mistakes, will lead to fewer mistakes in the future. Best of luck to you and may your aim be true on the next shot.

Participant

Tip: Close targets are TOP pin

:mrgreen:

Participant

Perhaps the wrong pin and kind-a sounds like the deer added to it by jumping your string. And you may not even noticed she did it. Deer are fast. Even if you shot a 350 FPM+ bow, it’s going to happen. I recall there was a pretty good article about that in one of Iowa Sportsman issues.

Participant

We’ve all been there rub some dirt on it and get back in there. If in stand and less than 10 yards use your 30 yard pin also bend at the waist. Sounds crazy but try it during practice. Good luck!!

Participant

Quote by: Buck3

We’ve all been there rub some dirt on it and get back in there. If in stand and less than 10 yards use your 30 yard pin also bend at the waist. Sounds crazy but try it during practice. Good luck!!

That doesnt always work. . . Not even close on my bow. . . . Heard that for years, and actually shot in the backyard a few years ago and tried it. . . My top pin was the only one to even hit the target. . .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.