Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Minn Kota question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My old Minn Kota finally died on me this weekend. I’m looking at getting a newer one with I-Pilot.

Saw this on wal-mart https://www.walmart.com/ip/MINN-KOTA-RIPTIDE-POWERDRIVE-55-IP-BT-12V-55LB-48-I-PILOT/110661919#about-item
    Am I missing something? This should be like a $1500 motor. Like maybe it is “i-pilot ready” but doesn’t actually have it or something?

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

No, thats correct. Its a 12v Powerdrive. Not a 24 or 36v Terrova or Ulterra. The Terrova is $1400 minimum, Ulterra over $2k.

That being said and not knowing what kind of boat you have, I would never buy a 12v trolling motor for any boat over 15′. But thats just me.

Participant

Thanks

I just have a 14′ jon, but may upgrade to 16′ sometime, so I’m thinking the 12v powerdrive would be fine? I’m just wanting something with the i-pilot system.

Found the same seller with the same motor on Amazon, where you can select either the co-pilot version or the i-pilot version, and they are the same price. Can’t be right…. right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFAMC56/ref=crt_ewc_img_gw_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3SNLLVFZ6ABAC&th=1&psc=1

Participant

just make sure you are getting the 2017 model. i think you would probably save a few bucks and just get the powerdrive unless you plan to fish sal*censored*er.

Participant

New motors you are gonna pay $1,100 for a 55 lb power drive with Ipilot and 12 volt, or $1,250 for the 70 lb ipilot 24 volt. If it was me, I would get the 70 lb thrust and 24 volt especially if you are considering getting a bigger boat. Just my $.02

Participant

Quote by: Stickman

New motors you are gonna pay $1,100 for a 55 lb power drive with Ipilot and 12 volt, or $1,250 for the 70 lb ipilot 24 volt. If it was me, I would get the 70 lb thrust and 24 volt especially if you are considering getting a bigger boat. Just my $.02

Stupid question- 12v runs on 1 battery, 24v would require 2 batteries, correct? I’ve always just had 1 battery on my boat, but I could probably make room for 2.

Participant

Quote by: WhiteMoose

Stupid question- 12v runs on 1 battery, 24v would require 2 batteries, correct? I’ve always just had 1 battery on my boat, but I could probably make room for 2.

Correct. 24v will require two batteries hooked up in a series. I do know people who have the 12v ipilot and still use 2 batteries hooked up in parallel just to get longer battery life for long days on the water.

Participant

I got a minn kota terrova 70lb 24 volt last aug. from Brian Leiva. $1200 ipilot. bbgmarine.com 888 570 0916. good luck. he has been great to work with. I just bought a helix 7 and a helix 7 di from him. great prices

Participant

My old Minn Kota finally died on me this weekend. I’m looking at getting a newer one with I-Pilot.

Saw this on wal-mart https://www.walmart.com/ip/MINN-KOTA-RIPTIDE-POWERDRIVE-55-IP-BT-12V-55LB-48-I-PILOT/110661919#about-item
    Am I missing something? This should be like a $1500 motor. Like maybe it is “i-pilot ready” but doesn’t actually have it or something?

Well, overnight they changed the price from $800 something to $1,310. Guess I should have pulled the trigger yesterday!

Participant

Correct. 24v will require two batteries hooked up in a series. I do know people who have the 12v ipilot and still use 2 batteries hooked up in parallel just to get longer battery life for long days on the water.

I run 2 in parallel. It nice because upgrading to 24V is not a big deal. What stinks is putting 2 of those hunks of lead into the hatch.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.