Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing Mille Lac Ice Fishing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Has anyone been there this year ice fishing? There are 8 of us wanting to stay in a sleeper there next month but have heard the Walleye population is really bad and they are only letting you keep 1 fish. We have portables and gas augers so we can move around and look for Perch too.

Any other lakes with similar driving distant to stay in sleepers AND catch fish?

Thoughts?

"In The Wind He's Still Alive" RIP Scott Ferris

Participant
    Up
    Down

Check out Dry Lake, South Dakota. Its right south of Florence. We went up there last year and hammered the perch and walleye. Take a 4 wheeler or snowmobile. The lake is 250k acres if i remember correctly and the max depth is 16′. Four of us went with 2 flipovers and had a ball. Caught way more fish than our limit every day and the locals and baitshops were very helpful in helping us get on the fish.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I wouldn’t waste time going to Mille Lac, I don’t believe you are allowed to take any walleye at all. I work over there on construction and it was all over the news about how bad the lake was doing. If you are looking for a place to go I have a couple buddies that just got back from fishing on Upper Red Lake and they did very well on walleye and pike. It would be about the same distance for you to drive and I believe they have ice houses you can rent if they aren’t all booked up.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I live about 45 min for Mille Lac and while I have not fished it myself this year the reports right now are good. Heard people doing ok on Walleye and better on perch.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Going next weekend actually. heard the bite is good and for a 5 hour drive it’s fun to experience the “ice life”.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Found this article on the walleye fishing, hope it helps you.
    As I posted before some friends just got back from Upper Red Lake and they caught several walleye and Pike. They didn’t do a lot of fishing for panfish so can’t help you out with that one.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/millelacslake/index.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.