Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Migration to Straight Wall

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Up
    Down

We are curious to find out how many are going to switch over from Slugs to Straight Wall this year?  We know a lot of you did last year, but how many of you slug purists are giving in? If you are what round are you going to shoot and which Rifle did you choose?

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarDonna.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarDonna.
    Attachments:
    Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I have shot a Remington 1100 using rifled slugs for years but am switching over to a Henry Lever Action X 45 70

Looking forward to it.

cowboycowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I won a 450 bushmaster that is still new in box, haven’t decided if I am going to use it or try to swap it for a 350 Legend.  Either way it should be fun.

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

I won a 450 bushmaster that is still new in box, haven’t decided if I am going to use it or try to swap it for a 350 Legend. Either way it should be fun.

I know the 350 Legend is cheaper to pull the trigger and has less kick, what other considerations have you thinking about the swap?

Participant
    Up
    Down

I used 45/70 two years ago to good effect. Used a 450 bushmaster last year on an AR platform.  It was cold and I had a light strike with that one.  I built a 350 legend for this year using a stronger hammer spring and hope to use it to good effect.

Got tired of the unreliability of shot guns (even rifles is a crap shoot at longer ranges) and the mess of muzzle loader.  Straight wall is good.

cowboycowboy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I won a 450 bushmaster that is still new in box, haven’t decided if I am going to use it or try to swap it for a 350 Legend. Either way it should be fun.

I know the 350 Legend is cheaper to pull the trigger and has less kick, what other considerations have you thinking about the swap?

Just heresay, not first hand knowledge, but have heard the 450 can do some pretty heavy damage, plus the points you made.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I quit shooting shotgun slugs when I bought a smokeless ML.  I figured with the smokeless, I could use it during shotgun season or one of the ML seasons.  I don’t group hunt, so being limited to one shot isn’t a negative for me.  I choose where to sit to make that one shot count, taking high percentage shots.

I helped a friend sight in his 450 Bushmaster and my ML load has the same ballistics.  I can load the ML hotter if I want the punishment, but I feel no need.

Couple years ago I bought a 44 Mag pistol, followed by a Henry lever in 44.  Got set up to reload and cranked out a bunch of 44 Mag.  The Henry is still NIB, as I always grab the ML.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag.  I love the gun.. Great to carry in the woods.  Shoulders easy but I have a hard time hitting deer with it like i did with my slug gun.  I am not sure if its the gun or just me.. But I shoot well with my Slug gun.  So i will see this year if maybe it was just me.  I use a peep on it now where last year it was just open sight.  I have open sights on my slug gun so should not have been an issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.