Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Mean Ole Mississippi First timer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve never fished the Mean Ole Mississippi and after four years of living in Cedar Rapids I’ve put it on the to do list for this fall. My buddy and I are going to take his boat out and give it a try this weekend.

Do any of you have advice on which pools and boat ramp are best. We are making it an overnight deal so driving distance isn’t too big of a deal.

Also any other advice would be appreciated on Odd regulations, boating hazards, etc. Probably be targeting walleye mostly but am open to whatever is biting. Thanks for any info!

Participant

Been flathead fishing pool 14 out of clinton. Caught a few on sunfish, ended up with a 29.5 walleye on a 5″ sunny on a 10/0 hook with 4oz of weight on it, 2 weekends ago. Should be a good time to be on the river! A lot of grass coming down river at the time. A fish finder with maps showing channel and wingdams is handy. If not you can print maps off Corps of Engineers site, just google upper Mississippi River navigation charts. Has your buddy spent time on the Miss?

Participant

the River has risen over the last week and is continuing to rise. It is at Action stage at the Lynxville Dam now. You will want to look for areas with less current and less grass flowing, as that has been bad recently as well. For Walleyes I would suggest a 3 way rig above wingdams, closer to shore.

oldstylelightoldstylelight
    Participant

If you don’t mind slightly longer drive than straight east, go north on the river like guttenberg or above. Very scenic and overall better fishing for traditional sportfish. Don’t be overwhelmed by the size of a big river. Often you don’t have to boat miles to find fish. Break down the area that you want to focus on and might be more productive than trying to see it all.

stick500stick500
    Participant

there’s a different slot limit on walleyes from Dubuque down to Bellevue IIRC

15-20″ for keepers and 1 over 27″

double-check your regs for Miss. at Dubuque to make sure I have it right

there was quite a bit of grass below the dam at Dubuque yesterday from that storm a couple days ago

Participant

My buddy has shore fished around Dubuque a couple times but that’s all. Thanks for the tip on the maps those look super helpful. On the maps are the grey lines around parts of the channel and some islands some type of wing dam?

I’ve heard good things about the Guttenburg area so i think that might be the place we try. Are some of the backwater “lakes” accessible by fishing boat? How deep do these lakes get?

Participant

be very careful at guttenberg they raised all the gates this morning i saw all kinds of things floating including half sunk trees.

Participant

Yes, those grey lines represent the wingdams.

Participant

I think id opt for another time, the river is coming up good and full of grass, not to mention all the other stuff coming along, specially if this is your first time

Participant

Most of the time the Miss isn’t “mean” at all but can get that way. It’s certainly different than fishing a res or smaller impoundment and there’s going to be a learning curve. After getting past that it very likely might be your favorite place to fish. Agreed, Guttenberg would be a good place to put in for your first time on the river. Pools 9 & 10 are better though, IMO. The grass thing, when it’s really heavy it’s hardly worth messing with.

Participant

We got a hotel booked so we are going to put some rain gear on and give it our best shot. I picked up some heavy one eyes and buck tail jigs. Maybe get some crank baits and its game on. If it’s really frustrating on pool 9, we are going to pull out the fly rods and waders!

Looks like the rain expectations for Prairie Du Chien area went down some thankfully.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.