Home Forums Miscellaneous Canoes, Kayaks, Paddling Maquoketa River

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thinking about taking a trip to Eastern Iowa with the wife and three kids (ages 12-17) to camp in Maquoketa campgrounds, hit Maquoketa Caves, canoe the Maquoketa River, fish, hike, and do what ever else we can do.

I have never been to eastern Iowa to float and fish so any tips and information would be great on things to do and places to see. We are not totally set on the Maquoketa campgrounds or even Maquoketa River so any suggestions are surely welcomed.

Thanks

Participant

Quote by: Pommer

Thinking about taking a trip to Eastern Iowa with the wife and three kids (ages 12-17) to camp in Maquoketa campgrounds, hit Maquoketa Caves, canoe the Maquoketa River, fish, hike, and do what ever else we can do.

I have never been to eastern Iowa to float and fish so any tips and information would be great on things to do and places to see. We are not totally set on the Maquoketa campgrounds or even Maquoketa River so any suggestions are surely welcomed.

Thanks

Check out Baileys Ford near Manchester on the Maquoketa River.
    https://www.google.com/search?

Nice camping, trout stream and a canoe rental in town that will shuttle you. I also recommend eating at the Chinese restaurant in town.

Maquoketa Caves is a nice camping area near Maquoketa especially for hiking thru caves. Not as sure about fishing and canoeing there as I havn’t tried it. There is a really nice drive-in theater south of Maquoketa. I recommend tacos at Obies restaurant!

Participant

Send me a PM with specific questions. I am from Maquoketa originally I might be able to help.

Participant

Manchester is a ways from Maquoketa and the caves and Monticello has canoe trip to Picture Rock too! And they are a lot closer too. There is some good fishing from Maquoketa to the Mississippi River good size flatheads and channel cats too. Bass and other fishing along the way too!

Participant

Maquoketa River is running a little high and muddy right now. Seems to have been that way all year friends that fish it haven’t been going much because of it. If your looking for a spot to eat when your there try Bluff lake right next to the caves good food sometimes a wait or go about 10 miles north to Benard and try Coes Bar you won’t be disappointed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.