Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits Maple Syrup Time!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I thought that the high and low temperatures this week were starting to look pretty good and my trees are showing signs of producing sap. So I decided to go ahead, drill some holes, and hammer in some taps. Looks like I’m already collecting my first bit of sap this year! The boiling process is a major pain, but the sweet-tasting syrup is a really nice reward. I still need to figure out a better way to boil my sap without wasting so much heat.

Has anyone else tapped their trees yet?

jerdog515jerdog515
    Participant

Tapping early next week. Yesterday and today would be good days and this weekend looks like sap should be flowing. Then a cool down for a couple days then good sap days after that. Marshall County. What do you use to boil? This is what I built last year and it worked pretty good. Could get through 40 gals in 9 hrs so not the fastest.

Participant

At the moment I just use one of those Bass Pro propane fish fryers. I got a larger pan and just let it boil down in my backyard. It can take the better part of a day if I have quite a bit of sap stored up. I do the final stages of boiling inside the house on the stove. I may get a second fryer just to try to speed up the process as it is very time consuming. I need to figure out a way to block some of the heat in as I’m sure quite a bit of it is lost to the cold.

I checked my trees at the end of the day and there is a decent stream of sap flowing. Not a ton, but it should pick up when we get some good overnight temps below freezing and daytime temps above freezing.

jerdog515jerdog515
    Participant

Hows your maple syrup making going?

Participant

Can you gather syrup on public land? I’m guessing not.

Participant

Regarding gathering maple syrup on public land, I would say no since we are not supposed to cut or drill anything into the trees on public land.

My own maple syrup gathering started off well when I initially put my taps in and I got probably around 6-8 gallons of sap. It has halted temporarily now that the daytime temperatures have dipped below freezing. From looking at the forecast it should start to pick up again over the weekend and there should be a strong flow going next week. I store my sap in one giant container and boil it all down in a single batch once the container is about full.

jerdog515jerdog515
    Participant

That would be a no go on tapping trees on public land.

Cyclone how do you store your sap? Do you freeze it or just keep it cold. Sap should start flowing again today and this coming week.

Participant

Quote by: jerdog515

That would be a no go on tapping trees on public land.

Cyclone how do you store your sap? Do you freeze it or just keep it cold. Sap should start flowing again today and this coming week.

I am not an expert on making maple syrup, but I just store it on my deck in a large plastic storage bin with a lid. You know, the kind you can get at Home Depot or Menards to fill and store items with. It freezes and/or stays cold while outside and the lid keeps dirt, rain, and snow out of it. When the bin is about full I fire up my propane burner and transfer some to a pot to start boiling it off bit by bit. It typically takes a whole Saturday or Sunday to boil off a bin full of sap to make syrup.

Participant

I thought that the high and low temperatures this week were starting to look pretty good and my trees are showing signs of producing sap. So I decided to go ahead, drill some holes, and hammer in some taps. Looks like I’m already collecting my first bit of sap this year! The boiling process is a major pain, but the sweet-tasting syrup is a really nice reward. I still need to figure out a better way to boil my sap without wasting so much heat.

Has anyone else tapped their trees yet?

I also use propane but yesterday I youtubed rocket stoves and with a few junk bricks I had stashed away I made a small one. Nothing fancy but it got hot and fast. Let you know in a day or two how it goes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.