Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Making Venison jerky

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hello: I’m going to attempt to make some venison jerky , regular not the ground type jerky. I’m slicing the meat 1/8″ to 1/4″thick , 1 1/2 ” wide and around 8″ long I’m using Back woods jerky seasoning that has the spice and cure packs in it. I’m borrowing a friends dehydrator. It’s temperature on high is 155 deg. I was told the meat should reach at least 165 degrees for it to be safe to eat. Just want to know if this is true and how I can do it. Put it in the oven ? Before the dehydrator or after dehydrating , or don’t worry about it ? About how much time in the dehydrator ? I know not all dehydrators are the same for time and temperature , it’s a 10 tray LEM and has a fan in it. Any other tips I should know . Hope someone can help. Good Luck . O – R

Participant
    Up
    Down

:
    D I would make venison jerky similar to your version. Put it in the dehydrator when I went to bed (around 10 PM) take it out the next morning when I woke up. You should be fine.

PCIPCI
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I wouldn’t worry about it. Have been doing jerky in my dehydrator for years with no problem, maybe I’ve just been lucky. Takes around 4 hours in mine, if it was in all night you wouldn’t be able to eat it for being so hard. I look at it like back straps they come off the grill around 125 deg. for me very rare.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.