Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing make shift rigs?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

i have the carbon arrow version of the bisket. will the fish arrows still fit?

Participant

Quote by: brink2

you definitely NEED (imo) to get a bowfishing setup with the correct arrow, line, and safety slide….

YES, YES, and YES. It’s worth every penny to get a good safe setup that’s intended for what you’re doing. Believe me, I’ve used the cheap arrows and reels (hand wound) and many of times I’ve been injured by my own equipment failing. Three years ago I had my string catch on my hand wrap reel just as I was shooting….this is fairly common with these reels, the line snaps and your arrow is gone. However, in this case the arrow shot out, the string snapped and came back at me and whipped me like a cowpoke whipping his cows.. hit me right across the back. Three years ago and I still have this crazy “S” shaped scar on my back. um, ouch.

I shot all last year with an AMS reel, the good ones. Not only is it safer, but it makes arrow retrieval 100 times easier and just makes the whole experience much better. You get what you pay for here…

Participant

The Muzzy (or any other specialty bowfishing arrow) will fit in a normal carbon arrow type whisker biscuit, HOWEVER, you will notice the heaviness of the arrow will make the arrow slump in the whisker biscuit.. There are 2 solutions. Buy a whisker biscuit specifically designed for bowfishing, (ebay has a bunch) or if you are not going to use the whisker biscuit again for regular carbon arrows, stiffen up the bristles by applying rubber cement to them. I just use a bowfishing rest that looks like a huge T-Rex style claw, and the arrow rests in the claw. You’ll know what i’m talking about when you see it if you search for bowfishing rests. 😀

Participant

thanks a bunch guys. do any of you know some good places in northwest iowa around the iowa great lakes?

Participant

The Grade, Upper Gar during the spawn, below the dam on the south end of Lower Gar, the bay on the west side of Center, Trappers Bay on Silver Lake, west branch of the Little Sioux(once the melt brings the water up). Those should get you started. 😉

Participant

not familiar with your area, but like kenhump said, any place like the outflow of dams, rivers, etc. I always hit any pools off of rivers, or if the rivers are high i’ll hit the flood plains… TONS of carp everywhere the water is a foot or two deep in flooded areas… I believe the carp spawn happens in water temps around the low 60’s, they’re usually ignorant to anything else at that time, so the sneak up and kill is extremely easy… The key is patience.

Participant

For you guys that were asking….the Barracuda is a GREAT bowfishing machine! I bought one last summer, and absolutely love it! I was shooting a 55# recurve, and at 40#s, the Browning shoots the arrow WAAAAAY flatter and faster. They’re light weight, and very easy to tune to get the arrow flying true. IMO, you can’t beat them for 200 bucks.
    Al

Participant

i have a kingfisher kit been wet once, never in a fish. same as new condition, i’d sell for $90

Participant

Quote by: bowtechbandit

i have a kingfisher kit been wet once, never in a fish. same as new condition, i’d sell for $90

you got any pics? You can email them to me at [email protected]
    Thanks

Participant

sorry man, just saw your pic request, i’ll try to get a pic with my phone, and email it to ya

Participant

So this may be a dumb question, but you can’t just use regular arrows? They are too light? Do they just skip off the surface of the water or what? I’d love to set up a really cheap bowfishing setup, use a zebco reel. There are TONS of them stacked up below this creek emptying into the Cedar.

Participant

bowfishing arrows are fiberglass, heavy and strong enough to handle the abuse of slamming into rocks

Participant

carbon or aluminum would skip or just die once they hit the water. Not to mention you wouldnt have any way of fastening a line to one of those arrows.

Participant

What kind of bow’s do all of you shoot fish with? This year I got two new bow for bowfishing a recurve and an Oneida. I realy hope I like that Oneida, I havent got to shoot it yet its on its way from UPS I got it on Ebay.

Participant

I shoot a Wing Chaparral 60″ at 47#s
    Best bow I have ever owned
    I also have a Chaparral at 40#s for a back up

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.