Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing make shift rigs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

does anyone have any ideas for a makeshift rig for bowfishing? i have shot some before with an arrow tied to some string wound in a coffee can which worked but not great. any better ideas? im looking for a cheep way to get started into bowfishing for off season archery practice. plus its awesome! 😯

Participant

You can get the hand wrap reel for $15 or so with line. It attaches on your regular bow and your set to go. Very common way for people to start out.

Something like this

http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_list&c=26

Rooster

Participant

Yeah the hand wrap reel is about the cheapest way to go. If you got an old Zebco 808 that would work better. You shoot traditional or a compound?

Participant

My recurve is so old that the old hand wrap is all that fits. I personally will not use a 808 as I saw a guy get an arrow snapped back at himself. Had real heavy cheap mono on it. 😐

Participant

Quote by: kenhump

My recurve is so old that the old hand wrap is all that fits. I personally will not use a 808 as I saw a guy get an arrow snapped back at himself. Had real heavy cheap mono on it. 😐

AMS makes a traditional strap that you can put on your recurve regardless of how old it is. You can mount an AMS retriever reel to this strap. This is a free flowing reel that does not get snagged up unless you let the extra line coming out of the bottle get snagged on the rest or what ever. They come with a braided nylon line.

Participant

You can still use the 808 and not have the snap back ( a lot of times you get that snap back when you forget to push the button) set your drag low so if you do forget to put the button the line will come out, but it will come out slow as if your fighting a fish. Use a AMS safety slide or ring set so your string is always in front of your bow.

It’s about time people start talkin about bowfishing I cant wait for soft water. The bowfishing movies I have are getting old.

😯 I got da itch 😯

Participant

Any of you guys shoot tournys? We have a club in Iowa. Lot of fun people and it is awesome to just sit around talkin about this sport.

Participant

I started this sport last year and got totally hooked. But i tell you what, the drums that you wrap string around are just as cumbersome as your coffee can rig. After losing 2-3 arrows last year because the string snapped in deep water 😡 , i switched to the AMS pro rig they have for about $70… it is expensive, but it is totally night and day difference between the cheap rigs…. the string doesn’t break, and your retrieves are 10 times faster with the built in reel, nice if you miss with the first shot as carp tend not to swim too far away if you miss the first time (or their friends are curious as to what just happened). If you’re sick of reeling the string around the rig you got now, you’ll be sick of the drums you can get for $20 within the first shot or two. I’ve never tried the adaptor to throw a fishing reel on your bow, but i’m sure they are a good step up too.

Participant

Yeah the AMS or regular reel is 10 times better than the hand wrap but if your looking for cheap, then the hand wrap will get the job done. I’ve also lost several arrows because of the hand rap reel though which in the long run is probably more expensive.

I haven’t done it in a couple years but am thinking about getting a new setup this year and going back after it. Does anyone have any experience with the Browning Barracuda bow? Thinking about getting one of these set up to get back out there. Or if anyone else has a suggestion for one in this general price range I’m all ears. I’d like to go with the Oneida but figure I better save some money to get a boat instead of a great bow. :mrgreen:

Rooster

Participant

ok. i was just using a regular carbon arrow with a makeshift head. do they make any heads for carbon arrows or is there a reason no one uses them. worked for me. i shot like 3 carp one day with it but the head finally fell apart. or what kind of head would work best?

Participant

aight, I got a good question for you all. is the PSE riverkling recurve a good set up? and if so, why would anyone make a make shift rig when the riverking has everything for $139?

Participant

you definitely NEED (imo) to get a bowfishing setup with the correct arrow, line, and safety slide…. The arrows are about 2-3 times as heavy as regular arrows, and have a diamond shaped carbide tip with 2 flip out limbs that preven the arrow from coming back out unless you unscrew the tip a few turns first… The safety slide puts the string in front of the arrow rest and slides to the rear of the arrow after release. Get a Muzzy arrow, with safety slide for about $10-15, much better setup than normal arrows. Expensive but definitely worth it, especially if you miss and hit shoreline a lot (like me), it won’t destroy the tip as easily. And the toughness of the arrow can definitely take the abuse.

Participant

Bighead, I’m a BAI member.

Rooster,I am also lookin into buying the barracuda, I need a good new bow for this upcoming year, last year my bow go stolen out of my truck. I think I’m going to buy the combo this weekend.

Brink2 Get a Muzzy arrow, with safety slide for about $10-15, much better setup than normal arrows. Expensive but definitely worth it, especially if you miss and hit shoreline a lot (like me), it won’t destroy the tip as easily. And the toughness of the arrow can definitely take the abuse.

I agree ith brink 100%, I my self have shot hunders of fish on the same arrow. When your shooting from the platform on a boat you will shoot alot of rocks, sand,durt,tree roots and the roots from tall grass, you need to spend the money and buy a good muzzy arrow with a muzzy tip, DO NOT GO CHEAP ON THE TIP

Participant

can a wisker bisquet rest stil be used or do i have to find something different?

Participant

A wisker bisquet is a great rest, the only thing is the arrow is a bit heavyer so it might smash your bisguet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.