Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Love Traeger Grills, Not Traeger Pellets

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Anyone else struggle to get their Traegers up to temp using Traeger brand pellets? I never could get it to 450 degrees for grilling so I finally broke the warranty warning (which is a scare tactic and sales push to buy Traeger pellets) and started using Lumberjack Pellets no problems what so ever. Just curious if this was an isolated problem just with me or if Traeger pellets are not all that great.

Participant
    Up
    Down

ive never heard that about the treager pellets before. I have a green mountain, and would use trager pellets as they are easy to get, but lately have been using the pit boss brand from memards, and have had no issues.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I tried one bag of greater pellets on my green mountain. Did the same thing to me. I prefer green mountain pellets or another off brand that works good.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a pit boss and used Treager pellets this weekend. They must have been wet or something. My hopper box was the only thing that was smoking for a while. I had to burn through what was left and go back to the pitboss pellets. Ill probably be done using Treager pellets. I was in a pinch and had to buy them this time around.

Participant
    Up
    Down

You must have had a bad bag. Which wood/flavor were you using? I’ve been using traeger pellets on my green mountain grill without a problem and have had it up to 500 a couple times using cherry.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have 3 traegers….the first on I have owned for almost 15 years. I have made everything from pizza, pulled pork, ribs, quesadilla, cakes & steaks. I have recently switched to Pitboss pellets from Menards. 40 lb bag half the price. This pellet puts out more smoke flavor for getting more flavor on things like cheese, fish, and summer sausage. I have also come to accept that a traeger will not sear steaks like I like and have went back to a charcoal Jumbo Joe when cooking steaks and burgers.

Participant
    Up
    Down

one of the main reasons I went with GM. higher temps, heavier steel, lot of people with traegers were having trouble at the time.

Up
    Down

I have struggled with Traeger pellets too coming to temp or having wide temp differences. I got fed up with them and switched to Cookingpellets.com brand. No problems now.

Twdenney, how do your pizza’s turn out on your Traeger?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Yep, used pit boss normally and had to buy traeger in a pinch, BAD! Couldn’t keep temp, fluctuated 50 degrees, never again. Bit boss has been great!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: wolflb2

You must have had a bad bag. Which wood/flavor were you using? I’ve been using traeger pellets on my green mountain grill without a problem and have had it up to 500 a couple times using cherry.

cherry

Up
    Down

Quote by: aaronm

I finally broke the warranty warning (which is a scare tactic and sales push to buy Traeger pellets).

Traeger saying you can only run their brand of pellets through there grills or the warranty is void rubbed me the wrong way too! A complete sales push and not the best interests of your customers.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Pizza turns out awesome. I t has that smoky flavor just like you would expect. Crank the traeger to high and place your stone directly on grate. Make dough let it rise 30-40 minutes all the while the grill is getting smoldering hot. Get toppings ready and build pie. Drop that sucker on for probably 10 minutes or less and enjoy!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.