Looking for Jon Boat access in Western Rivers. Need your help2019-04-14T07:44:46-05:00

Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Looking for Jon Boat access in Western Rivers. Need your help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Sorry to bug you guys.  Again, I’m wondering where is the closest river and access for a jon boat near Audubon?  I have seen the Raccoon is about 30 minutes+ away.  Anything else.  I have been spoiled over here in Eastern Iowa with the Wapsi and Cedar.  I need to find a river so this River Rat does not go insane.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I love to set bank lines and hit sandbars with the family.  Beats the city pool any day!!

Participant

Middle Coon is going to be your closest and best bet if you’re in Audubon.  The Nishnabotna is another option, but it is definitely not as good.  From Coon Rapids on south to Lake Panorama, you are going to find some of the best fishing for numbers of eater size with the occasional trophy sized channel cats in the state.  The river snakes its way south with tons of curves, cut banks, and riffles for the seasoned river rat.  Contrary to E/NE Iowa, there are very few lowhead dams in this part of the state unless you are fishing the North Coon.

Once you get south of Lake Panorama, you have the 1-2-3 combination of North, Middle, and South Coon all within a very short drive.  The South Coon is a highly underrated stream with tons of gravel and sandy bottom that holds good populations of smallmouths and occasional walleyes as well.  The North Coon has excellent fishing throughout its length with pockets of excellent walleye fishing mixed in with phenomenal channel and flathead catfishing throughout its course.

For a really pretty float, you may want to think about putting in at Coon Rapids and winding through the Whiterock Conservancy’s timbered valley and curves.  Beautiful scenery and excellent catfishing.  Similarly, putting in below Lake Panorama is a scenic fishery with CPR only sections for smallmouths and tons of artificial structure added for these and walleyes.

Good luck and tight lines!

Participant

I forgot to add, that some of the best fishing on the middle coon and its smaller tributaries will be starting very soon.  The spawning run out of Lake Panorama and the deepest holes on the river drives the fish upstream into smaller creeks where they can be caught first with nightcrawlers and then with minnows and cut chubs as the water warms and the spawn nears.  Do not overlook creeks you could cross in two jumps!  If it is connected to the middle coon and has 2-4′ of water and you time it right it can be a bonanza!  If the water is murky, fish can be caught on the bottom with a light sinker depending on current.  If the water is clear, tie on a slip-bobber and set just off the bottom.

The minnow and cut chub bite will continue into mid-summer, but once this year’s leopard frogs hatch (usually early to mid July) abandon everything else.  This is time for wading and floating the small frogs under a slip bobber with just enough split shot to keep them down.  This is by far the most exciting and satisfying way to catch cats up to 5 pounds or more.  They will hit the frogs alive or dead, but a lively one threaded onto a #2 or #1 long-shanked gold aberdeen hook is sure to get blown up!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!