Home Forums Hunting Firearms Long range scope suggestion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking for a long range scope to put on my S2 in .223 and thinking 8-40x. I love Burris XTR II (use a Monarch 3 on my hunting rifle) and also looking at the Redfield. What do you guys use?

Participant

Looking for a long range scope to put on my S2 in .223 and thinking 8-40x. I love Burris XTR II (use a Monarch 3 on my hunting rifle) and also looking at the Redfield. What do you guys use?

I’m not sure what you consider “long range”? Anyway, I shoot a 24″ HB .243 wssm AR.  Most all of my shots are long range. My scope is a Nikon Buckmaster mildot 4.5-14x 40mm. I’ve had it for quite a few yrs now. Tough scope & has taken some stout hits & keeps on ticking. My farthest (ranged) kill shot on a coyote was 600yrds +/- a few. I’ve made many other shots from 300-440yrds. When shooting long range I like plenty of zoom. To focalize my bullet’s intent.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

what’s your budget and what’s your definition of long range?  Are you shooting groups at long distance on paper, or shooting steel?  Answers to these will help with suggesting magnification and specific scope recommendations.

Many people’s definition of “long range” nowadays is beyond what most people would shoot a 223.  Or  maybe you’re also hand loading for a fast twist 223 with high BC 70+ grain bullets, for a poor mans 224 valkarie or something?  (personally I’d like to build a 1-7″ twist 223 sometime and load up the long bullets to play with.  🙂 ).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.