Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Long range predator shooting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone do this besides me?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatar coydog.
    WhipWhip
    Participant

I have taken some long shots but I don’t go looking for a specific long range situation. Hit one I crippled at 200 with a 600 yard hail Mary shot as he attempted to get away. Son in law was impressed. I don’t hunt with a heavy rifle in one of the long range calibers. I stick with 22/250 and 223 mostly.

Whip

Participant

I enjoy it a great deal. I use a modified short Versa-Pod Model 1. I modified the skid feet By riveting on 2″x2″ aluminum pans. With a sheet metal screw sticking down/ For prone shooting on ice. My longest ranged shots were 554-556 & 600 yards even. Using my fatgirl. Which weighs around 12 lb loaded.

WhipWhip
    Participant

I have considered buying one of the 6.5 s in heavy barrelled configuration in one of the modular stocks with all the bells and whistles. It could double for coyotes and antelope, deer etc. I have a 300 RUM with a Leupold custom dial system that is amazing at extended ranges out to 700 yards. It is accurate enough to hit a coyote size target at extreme ranges. But not an ideal caliber to save on fur damage. Now that Im retired I plan to call coyotes this year and think I will use my RRA Predator Pursuit AR as my go to gun. I started shooting it this summer on prairie dogs to get use to it. Its amazingly accurate but the .223 lacks a lot of punch beyond 300 yards.

Whip

Participant

You know I’m a long time predator stalker. It was icy conditions that were the cause of me getting into shooting long range. A neighbor guy bought a 24″ HB 243 wssm AR. I was hooked after that. It doesn’t kill coyotes any better. But cuts through stout crosswinds at long range very well. So I stuck with that rifle. I’ve shot many passed 300 with it. I also agree with you on the .223 @ 300. Much to be desired on stout wind days.  I shoot 95 gr Win BT’s. Awesome coyote round except at close range. Not a fur saver. but a devastating killer on the coyotes. I shot one sleeper broadside around the 300yrd marker. Hit him mid chest. The exit wound was grape fruit sized. Even with that trauma that coyote gained his footing again & tried to run. I stayed on him in the scope & punched him one more. That did it.

WhipWhip
    Participant

The current trend for long-range calibers is 6.5 but the 6mm 243 is still a great round. The WSSM is a great cartridge. Plenty of velocity equals great ft lbs on target. Would be plenty of gun for most big game. Little light for elk but with good shot placement it would work. My main concern anymore is weight. I’m not a youngster and even that RRA Predator Pursuit gets heavy during a long day of hiking and calling.

Whip

Participant

The current trend for long-range calibers is 6.5 but the 6mm 243 is still a great round. The WSSM is a great cartridge. Plenty of velocity equals great ft lbs on target. Would be plenty of gun for most big game. Little light for elk but with good shot placement it would work. My main concern anymore is weight. I’m not a youngster and even that RRA Predator Pursuit gets heavy during a long day of hiking and calling.

I don’t mind the weight & the hike through the hills. My aim is I prefer a heavy rifle that buffets little in a stout cross/quartering wind. While shooting prone. My .223 Bushmaster AR, preferred Winchester 55 gr SBT & 45 gr Win white box(Varmint pack). The 45gr white box was subject to drifting 4″ with a 10 mph crosswind @ 100yds.

WhipWhip
    Participant

The mountains here can be brutal on the old body. My hikes can be pretty long with no houses or ranches around. But I like it that way. Wind drift on .223 bullets is brutal beyond 300 yards. I really like the heavier .224 bullets in my AR with a 1 in 8 twist. I also feel the heavier bullets are easier on fur.

Whip

Participant

If I get my rifle scoped up and load worked up 6XC. I will play with my distance but it will be under ideal situations.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.