Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting lone bark???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I decided to go out calling after work last night. The wind was out of the south/south east, I was able to approach the selected stand site from the north west (worked perfect) I set up in a fence line with great back ground cover. I had decided on my way out that I was not going to use the distress call (at least not right away) so I started off with the female invitation howl, about 30 seconds after the howl I heard one lone bark come from the standing corn field that I was calling towards 200 yards away. It sounded to me like it was either a female or a young male. I’m pretty new to calling so I was not sure how to respond, so I did nothing, just waited. I never did see the coyote. Is there anything I should have done differently???

Participant
    Up
    Down

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back and I also never saw the coyote. I think that when they do that it may be a warning to other coyote.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Did you try anymore calls or howls?

Participant
    Up
    Down

If they bark sharply at you, they usually know something is up. At that point try to shoot them, if you can, or I guess you can try a different call, but chances are it has you pegged so any movement will be seen.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Todd, like V-Max said there is a good possibility that the coyote knew something was wrong. He may have spotted you, he may not have, but this could have been a warning bark to all of his buddies. Or he was a little upset at another possible coyotes’ prescence there. As far as what to do different? I don’t think waiting for a while and not doing anything is really a bad move. But since you were already there, I probably would have tried something else after waiting a bit. Either more coyote vocalizations to get him fired up or some distress. There has been a couple of lengthy discussions on this very topic in the last couple of months if you want to go back and read some old threads.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.